Neal Jabs Trump For Having ‘Gamed Tax Code To His Advantage’ After NYT Report | Talking Points Memo

Taibbi should know better.

They aren’t going to find collusion with Putin in Trump’s tax forms; they’ll find it in the tax records of the Trump Corporation.

And I agree completely - Matt Taibbi is a useful idiot for Putin and Russia.

6 Likes

How can we even be concerned about any of this piddly-ass shit when the Democrat Party is driving poor Brad Parscale to suicide?!!!

2 Likes

Real Estate and Golf Courses…two of the top ways to launder money from what I have read. And Ding Ding Chump rings both bells.

3 Likes

https://twitter.com/ECMcLaughlin/status/1310599909981057026

@ECMcLaughlin
](https://twitter.com/ECMcLaughlin)

Parscale being under investigation by the FEC for $170 mill in money laundering, combined with this Channel 4 news story showing that Trump’s campaign has had a database on every American of voting age since 2016 that categorized Black Americans as “Deterrence,” explains a lot.

15 Likes

What I wouldn’t give for Katie Porter to be in Neal’s position in the House W&M committee!

11 Likes

ICYMI

Longtime adderall abuser and future New York state prison inmate King Kockholster has said Biden will likely do very well in the debate tomorrow. And, being a “very stable genius,” he knows why.

Biden’s deputy campaign manager Kate Bedingfield responded in a statement to Politico:

“Vice President Biden intends to deliver his debate answers in words. If the president thinks his best case is made in urine he can have at it. We’d expect nothing less from Donald Trump, who pissed away the chance to protect the lives of 200K Americans when he didn’t make a plan to stop COVID-19.”

He also pissed away a family fortune. But if nothing else, Professional Pissboy knows his urine tests.

download

13 Likes

Taibbi and Greenwald should be silent until the Crack of Doom.
Neither of them is even remotely believable.

8 Likes

One small paragraph from the NYT report explains where they could have found places to start - but also tells why this audit thing is on hold:

“Records show that the results of an audit of Mr. Trump’s refund were sent to the joint committee in the spring of 2011. An agreement was reached in late 2014, the documents indicate, but the audit resumed and grew to include Mr. Trump’s returns for 2010 through 2013. In the spring of 2016, with Mr. Trump closing in on the Republican nomination, the case was sent back to the committee. It has remained there, unresolved, with the statute of limitations repeatedly pushed forward.”

Don Bobo is in deep financial straits even without this, with at least $300 million due and payable 2022. National security risk indeed and a sneaky, lying one at that.

7 Likes

MGM owns “The Celebrity Apprentice” and “The Apprentice” show formats. It maintains a direct financial relationship with Trump and Mark Burnett, the producer who created the show in 2004. Trump has said he has 50% of Burnett’s stake in the show—but no one has offered any proof.

4 Likes

I love that the Trump campaign keeps sending Donald Jr. out there to defend this shit and his main avenue is attacking Hunter Biden. Do they think that plays with ANY crowd outside the MAGA idiots? Especially coming from him?

4 Likes

10 Likes

Maybe he had to “refresh” those hair plugs. Because all the stress is making the original ones fall out.

Plugs are expensive, ya know. And if you have to do it every month or two, . . . well… unlike all Trump’s excuses … it adds up.

2 Likes

At some point we are going to start hearing about the Deutsche Bank private banking stuff…my money is on them finding a whole lotta Russian connections there…

6 Likes

Sic AOC on it. When she jabs it leaves a mark.

5 Likes

STFU, Richard Neal. We need Katie Porter to do this.

If you're curious why he didn't, it's because Rep. Neal wanted to make a tax deal with Trump that would benefit insurance companies (his donors) and harm people's retirement investments. https://t.co/hwdhygGq2A

— Daniel Schuman (@danielschuman) September 27, 2020

Don’t let the headlines fool you. The Supreme Court’s decision last Thursday in Trump v. Mazars doesn’t deserve much celebration. Although the Court upheld Congress’s right to investigate the president as a general matter, it placed new restrictions on that power and punted on the specific question at hand: Can Congress get immediate access to President Trump’s financial records through his accounting firm? With the case potentially headed for many more months of litigation, there is a significant chance the president’s records will not be made public before the election this fall.

But even an imperfect outcome such as this one didn’t have to deal a fatal blow to the cause of transparency. The main problem is the timing of this ruling, just four months before the presidential election, leaving scant time to respond or follow up. That was avoidable. And one man, House Ways and Means Committee Chairman Richard Neal, deserves the blame for failing to avoid it. His lengthy and unnecessary delays in pursuing the president’s tax returns made this result possible.

This decision, which limited Congress’s right to subpoena the president and sent the specific cases over subpoenas of Trump financial records back to the lower courts, will open up future exercises of congressional oversight authority to specious challenges and potentially fatal delays on vague “separation of powers” grounds. More concretely in the short-term, while the lower courts could, and should, quickly rule that Trump’s financial records must be turned over to Congress, there’s real reason to worry that they won’t act quickly enough.

So, instead of requesting the tax returns in January, Rep. Neal only issued a subpoena in May and suit to enforce it was not filed until June.

— Daniel Schuman (@danielschuman) September 27, 2020
5 Likes

Is there any doubt now why Trump has been under audit from the IRS for years.

IRS: let’s see, he made 300 million, and lost 450 million and borrowed the difference and !!! This guy should be on welfare!

1 Like

better be 800lb test line, they’re fishing for a record tuna.

4 Likes

If only the House Ways and Means Committee had any power to do something about this dastardly villain!

5 Likes

I did some temp work for my former employer in 2018 and did not update a new W-4. So, I ended up owing $400 taxes on $4000 “extra” income.

Unfortunately, our wonderful fair tax code was written just for tax avoidance and I’m wondering if I walk away from my mortgage (like Trump) and declare I “Depart” can I then claim a loss? Of-course-not; the bank will sell the house at a loss and sue me for the difference:

Trump and his beloved Consultant Ivanka- committed Tax Evasion and I’m hoping she and The Brothers get a comfy adjoining prison cell.

2 Likes

We just don’t get it. This is exactly the system that Republicans want. Laws are for the peons.

Americans owe a cumulative $131 billion in unpaid taxes, enough to completely fund the Department of Education for two years. The bulk of that money is owed by the wealthiest people in the country, yet the IRS isn’t attempting to collect it from them. Instead, as IRS Commissioner Charles Rettig confirmed in a letter to Congress recently, the agency literally can’t afford to audit the rich, so it’s pursuing the poor instead.

ProPublica has published multiple stories on the sad state of the modern IRS over the past year. They found that a person is more likely to get audited if they make $20,000 a year than if they make $400,000. That’s because it takes a lot less time, money, and people to investigate someone who receives the earned income tax credit, one of the government’s largest anti-poverty programs, than it does to look into the complicated holdings and filings of someone else making 20 times as much. And even further up the economic ladder, things aren’t any better: Millionaires were 80 percent less likely to be audited in 2018 than they were in 2011.

This is the direct result of years of conservative-led efforts to successfully defund, defang, and delegitimize the IRS. Over the past eight years, Congress has steadily reduced the agency’s enforcement budget by billions of dollars, down 25 percent from what it was in 2008. And by cutting out only relatively small chunks at a time, the gutting has largely avoided public outcry. Unsurprisingly, according to ProPublica, the IRS is in disarray on the inside, resulting in “a bureaucracy on life support.”

On the one hand, the IRS said, auditing poor taxpayers is a lot easier: The agency uses relatively low-level employees to audit returns for low-income taxpayers who claim the earned income tax credit. The audits — of which there were about 380,000 last year, accounting for 39% of the total the IRS conducted — are done by mail and don’t take too much staff time, either. They are “the most efficient use of available IRS examination resources,” Rettig’s report says.

On the other hand, auditing the rich is hard. It takes senior auditors hours upon hours to complete an exam. What’s more, the letter says, “the rate of attrition is significantly higher among these more experienced examiners.” As a result, the budget cuts have hit this part of the IRS particularly hard.

6 Likes
Comments are now Members-Only
Join the discussion Free options available