National Archives: Some Trump White House Documents Were Torn Up, Reassembled With Tape | Talking Points Memo

Some documents from the Trump White House that the National Archives handed over to the Jan. 6 committee were torn apart and then taped back together, according to the Washington Post.

This is a companion discussion topic for the original entry at https://talkingpointsmemo.com/?p=1403408
1 Like

Is it not illegal to destroy presidential records? Even if trump does it?
I have read he even ate some bits.

28 Likes

I recall reading about how some WH aides would often scramble to collect the pieces and tape them back together after President Meltdown McTantrumface ripped them up. Even THEY knew what an insufferable and ridiculous moron he was.

38 Likes

I guess the degree of difficulty in piecing the documents together would depend on what color crayon was used.

14 Likes

When His Trumpness does it, it is not crime. His mommy said so.

3 Likes
10 Likes

Teeth marks? I recall hearing Nixon left teeth marks on child proof prescription vial tops

1 Like

What about the ones he ate? What a rotten job that must’ve been.

12 Likes

What about transcripts kept on super-secret servers?

5 Likes

Too late.

3 Likes

2 Likes

"along with a number of torn-up records that had not been reconstructed by the White House,” the National Archives said in a statement shared with the Post. "

So who is putting those back together? National Archives or a congressional aide?

5 Likes

I never understood what Trump thought he was accomplishing by tearing up the documents…it’s not like a lot of that was the only copy, it’s just the fact that it was his copy that mattered. And he did it from the start, and continued after being told it broke the records laws…which actually by itself should have been grounds for impeachment, the president breaking an oversight law like that is reason enough.

It will be very interesting when we see what is on these documents…you can just bet that the committee will put out any documents that have bad news for Trump on them, and the fact that he tried to destroy an incriminating document(s) will look even worse for him.

25 Likes

The National Archives reports this fact.

8 Likes

No surprise here - we knew this was the case 4 years ago. It was his habit in business to never leave a sheet of paper intact. And he sure as hell didn’t care about the Presidential Records act.

27 Likes

I think it was old habit from his real estate days. It was his crude way of covering his ass. But it doesn’t work in the White House.

10 Likes

The Rolling Wisdom of Madison Cawthorn.

Wartime footing? Also, perhaps Trump is his father. With Trump, you never know.

20 Likes

Yeah, what about that perfect call? Code word protected server is where all the real damaging shit is stored.

National Archives needs to send a bill to Trump for time spent reassembling his confetti memos, for four years. Maybe deduct the amount of SS agents he gets until the debt gets paid off.

5 Likes

Laws like 44 U.S.C. ß2201-2209 are for the little people, the unwashed, the “poors” as he called us. Laws do not apply to him if they run contrary to his needs and wants. Should a law be to his benefit then he will say how he likes “laws” and follows them. which is of course bullshit. trump has ignored laws his entire adult life and his social position has allowed him to get away with it. While he was in office he had the protection of the DoJ immunity memo which at a memo level (and which the DoJ has considered to have the force of law) confers on a sitting president utter and total immunity putting that person beyond any and all laws whatever for their term. It is irrational to say the least. But trump loved the whole idea and he considers himself still immune as a past POTUS. But he isn’t immune now. And I hope the weight of the law dumps on him. I await very very impatiently a mondo sized indictment that could put him in stir for 20 years.

12 Likes

Then we should pump his stomach!

3 Likes