My Kids’ School Won’t Reinstate Masks Despite A Recent Surge In COVID Cases. Here’s What I Chose To Do.

This article originally appeared in ProPublica, a Pulitzer Prize-winning investigative newsroom. Sign up for The Big Story newsletter to receive stories like this one in your inbox.

This is a companion discussion topic for the original entry at https://talkingpointsmemo.com/?p=1384375
1 Like

When did being “conservative” become equated with being reckless? It’s mind boggling. It’s children. It’s the party that has consistently (and falsely) claimed to be pro-life.

56 Likes

Local news had coverage of an anti-vaxxer gathering. I was yelling at the TV that the Department of Children and Family Services should have been out in the parking lot taking down license plate numbers.

45 Likes

This is madness. Literal madness. It’s hard to believe my own eyes and ears.

62 Likes

The GOP/Right intends for this mask fight to severely damage support for public education so that it can give our tax dollars to Christian supporters that operate fundamentalist schools. That is why the right is showing so much zeal for this.

36 Likes

Wait for it…

17 Likes

A surprise ending that isn’t really a surprise.

18 Likes

Sick and dead kids, teachers, staff, parents.

Acceptable collateral damage from Republicans’ war on science, sanity, reality, and responsibility.

(But, it sure is a good thing they banned the teaching of critical race theory. That, since it isn’t taking place anyway, was certainly going to injure and kill a lot of innocent kids.)

28 Likes

Probably would have avoided confusion if he had said when this happened. But good to know DeSantis has always acted like a crazy man.

8 Likes

Children have always been used and abused. It’s biblical as well as historical. Take for example the enslavement by conscription to fight ancient and modern battles; the Children’s Crusade, people, like my Dad, kidnapped at 14 to work in Nazi labour camps. Children used as political pawns by African rebels and Rumpian assholes.

17 Likes

Didn’t a bunch of GQP senators joke when NY had the hospital ship come in to help? There’s this and Biden acting correctly, sending ventilators to Florida. It doesn’t matter which state, this president will be there.

32 Likes

Yeah, a bit confusing at first…I thought it was Ron Johnson while reading the thread. But, then again, so many evil scumbags to choose from.

8 Likes

In the future you will recognize a Republican simply because they are missing their noses.

Also, these Republican tactics are very much the same as the Orange One’s tactics. They are removing the tools from the hands of the people to manage these situations. Abbot and DeSantis smack of it, tying the hands of the responders to these moments. They can either declare themselves the saviors or at a minimum prevent their opposition have any recourse.

18 Likes

Some Republicans seem to be adhering to the sunk cost fallacy but, along with that, there seems to be this impulse to show they can be as ‘tough’ and ruthless as anyone: Tossing children into the bonfire of their vanity does not seem to concern them, as long as the kids aren’t theirs of course one would hope (ed).

19 Likes

Not sure that is even true as well.

15 Likes

I’m not plumbing this for rational goals. I think they’ve whipped themselves into a frenzy, like berserkers, and nothing matters but that they attack and attack.

37 Likes

The house is burning, but our policy is to let the fire run its course. Dousing the house with water is just interfering with nature.

Or something like that.

35 Likes

The answer should be NO.

Enough is enough.

It’s called personal responsibility, accountability and consequences.

It’s time for the GQP to learn some THE FUCKING HARD WAY.

6 Likes

Good analogy.

https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:Beserker,_Lewis_Chessmen,_British_Museum.jpg#/media/File:Beserker,_Lewis_Chessmen,_British_Museum.jpg

10 Likes

Dammit.

2 Likes
Comments are now Members-Only
Join the discussion Free options available