Murkowski Through To General Election With Greatest Challenge Ahead

Sen. Lisa Murkowski (R-AK) has made it past the Republican primary with a slight edge over her Trump-endorsed challenger.

This is a companion discussion topic for the original entry at https://talkingpointsmemo.com/?p=1429230
1 Like

Her 2010 win shows how formidable she is as a candidate in a statewide election in Alaska.

9 Likes

Helps when you get your State to rewrite their laws to ensure you have a primary rigged to ensure your survival through the first round.

2 Likes

I love ranked choice voting - wish we had it here in AZ.

2 Likes

She won as a write in, right? With a name like “Murkowski.” I’m not going t o spend a moment worrying that she won’t simply trounce her competitors; they’d probably fare better facing off bare-handed against a grizzly bear.

5 Likes

Ranked choice voting has got to be a real mind-bender for those who live in a black and white world where there’s only one choice…

2 Likes

In 2010 she had the support of the Native American community in Alaska which was a key reason that led to her victory. Remember she was a write-in candidate which required that her name be spelled correctly. Today’s political climate is a bit different, but she is a formidable candidate and she won’t take anything for granted.

From 2010:
Lisa Murkowski claims victory in Alaska Senate election - Los Angeles Times (latimes.com)

Murkowski, 53, a centrist Republican, ran with strong support from Alaska Native organizations, the state teachers and firefighters associations, and the Anchorage police employees association. Her substantial cash reserves were supplemented by wealthy Native corporations and other supporters.

ETA: Alaska is a huge state which poses unique challenges for campaigning. It is vast.

2 Likes

Tshibaka won the coveted former President Donald Trump endorsement, at least in part due to her willingness to sow doubt about the legitimacy of the 2020 election. But it’s also part of Trump’s ongoing vendetta against Murkowski.

Can Trump even pronounce Tshibaka? I’ll bet he called her Chewbacca regularly.

4 Likes

And yet, you don’t hear Alaskans bitching about mail in voting…

4 Likes

“Trump did not so much takeover the Republican Party but rather exposed the Republican Party”, Stewart Stevens last night when discussing the primaries.

As I said before, supporting voter suppression, gerrymandering and the right of legislatures to ignore the people and pick winners but stopping short of violent overthrow of the Government and ending democracy and replacing it with a dictator not you does not make you good it just makes you at best “lawful evil”.

That is I am not going to spend a moment worrying about her about Murkowski winning or losing. The fact is Murkowski like the all current Repugs including Liz Cheney, whose father actually did steal an election, supported all Trump did and other Republicans have done and are doing to steal elections through the use of White nationalism to gain and hold power.

While I hesitate to speculate on motives, remember that had Trump succeeded in becoming a dictator, like in China and with Putin in Russia, in addition to Senators and Congressmen and women becoming irrelevant, all people in business would have been working for Donald Trump much like all companies in Russia work for Vladimir Putin. Which is why truly smart Repugs and crony capitalists opposed the insurrection.

Or to put another way, the real danger to American democracy is not Donald Trump but the Republican Party to include Cheney and Murkowski who only want to steal elections for themselves and not for Donald Trump.

2 Likes
Comments are now Members-Only
Join the discussion Free options available