Murkowski Condemns Mulvaney’s Remarks, Handful Of Other GOPers Agree | Talking Points Memo

You’d barely know, from the reaction of congressional Republicans, that White House chief of staff Mick Mulvaney had publicly confirmed a central question of House Democrats’ impeachment inquiry on national television.

This is a companion discussion topic for the original entry at https://talkingpointsmemo.com/?p=1256618

A bunch of Republican chicken shits trying to butter their bread on both sides by being “troubled” but not sure it warrants impeachment. They all need “more information”. What a brave and principled stand!

I suppose this is what you call progress in politics. They all make Amash look like some kind of superhero.

41 Likes

“The only unknown would be if this is so grave and serious that it rises to the level of impeachment,” he said. “I don’t think this is as much as Richard Nixon did, but I’m very mindful of the fact that back during Watergate, everybody said, ‘Oh, it’s a witch hunt to get Nixon.’ Turns out it wasn’t a witch hunt, it was absolutely correct.”

No surprise that Rooney skips lightly over the Clinton impeachment.

32 Likes

“The only unknown would be if this is so grave and serious that it rises to the level of impeachment,” [Rooney] said.

The real question is “WTF does it take?”

39 Likes

Has anyone asked Susan Collins if she too is “concerned”? I mean, I’m happy for any cracks that appear in the GOP facade, but this is pathetic.

21 Likes

“I have no idea why he said what he said,” Kinzinger said of Mulvaney

Because he forgot to use his inner monologue.

12 Likes

So a few rethugs are becoming aware of the needed clean-up on isle White House?

7 Likes

Until Lisa Murkowski actually does something to help end POtuS’s unconstitutional behavior, it’s not news. Until then, it’s just much ado about nothing.

Also, a quid pro quo is not required to establish impeachable conduct.

17 Likes

“Was he talking about just general corruption, or was he talking specifically about the Biden issue?”

Well that is a thin straw to grasp. Has he not read any of the statements so far?

9 Likes

Probably not murdering someone in the middle of Times Square. Or filetting a journalist. Or grabbing women. Or lying. Or cheating.

The only sin Spankee can commit is to lose them the election.

THAT’S THE ONLY DAMNED THING THAT WILL TURN THEM AGAINST HIM!!!

31 Likes

For the GOP, “integrity has a liberal bias.”

41 Likes

No republican Rep is going to come out and say I will support impeachment, because he is going to get blasted by McCarthy on the phone, Trump on Twitter, and Hannity on TV. If he feels that is right thing or that is in his best political interest to vote to impeach Trump we will know it when he votes, they are not going to be telegraphing it.

And BTW what Trump did is worse than what Nixon did. Because it involved a) Foreign governments and b) Involve Money using appropriated by congress as aid to bribe or extort depending how you look at it. But I don’t know what “facts” are they are waiting for, it has all been admitted by Trump himself. They are just stalling for time.

22 Likes

17 Likes

Approval rating is starting to dip a little: https://projects.fivethirtyeight.com/trump-approval-ratings/
Or it could just be statistical noise and my wishful thinking. I am waiting for it to get into the 30s before I get excited.

10 Likes

A Rethug speaks out! Cause for celebration!Unknown

I thought they were all asleep, had their mouths duct taped or were on permanent vacation.

3 Likes

It’s all about “winning” and consolidating power, all that other claptrap the GOP spouts about small government, “freedom”, God and Jesus, free markets, etc., is all just spin, smoke, and subterfuge.

15 Likes

GOPers continue to support their hope of political gain from a sociopath who only cares about his personal gain.

11 Likes

We have to keep digging. The dam is starting to break and we need to be sure to follow the money wherever it goes. Trump can’t go down alone. Everyone who has attached themselves to him needs to be exposed for their reasons why. Craven political loyalty can be excused however repulsive, but there are significant financial or other benefits tied to some of this loyalty. We need to expose the traitors who are working for a foreign power and after a fair trial, hang them.

(note to secret service: before you worry about that statement take a look at your boss. I dare you to take me to court. Politicians who don’t want threatening statements need to not make them.)

8 Likes

I don’t expect movement from the right until his approval is dipping into the low 30s looking like it’s going into the 20s. Then we’ll see more than pearl clutching.

11 Likes

The follow up question: Do you support the administration’s claims of executive privilege and absolute immunity, and it’s refusal to comply with lawful subpoenas?

15 Likes