Morning Memo: Merrick Garland Has Some Explaining To Do | Talking Points Memo

Here are the stories that caught our attention.

Attorney General Merrick Garland will be meeting with CNN, the Washington Post and the New York Times today to discuss the Trump administration’s seizure of electronic data from their reporters.

This is a companion discussion topic for the original entry at https://talkingpointsmemo.com/?p=1377406
1 Like

I’d really like to hear something from Garland that puts me at ease that he isn’t going to look forward not backward… I mean of course look forward, but we cant let the Trump administration and the GOP get away with everything they did.

17 Likes

Certainly an important topic but it would be good to hear Garland discuss a few other things including why the DOJ is still serving as Trump’s lawyer in a defamation lawsuit.

10 Likes

OT
Here’s some light reading…
geeze…

18 Likes

Christopher Sign’s ‘suicide’ linked to ‘Clinton crime syndicate’ claims GOP Rep Boebert after author of Bill exposé dies (the-sun.com)

5 Likes

Many arguments have been made, including from Gorbachev himself, that Chernobyl was the fissure that led to the demise of the Soviet Union… So… Crossing fingers here… Maybe Xi can oversee a test at the plant?

8 Likes

Any bets it would have been covered up if the French had not been involved?

10 Likes

Boebert really shouldn’t be asking for Hillary’s attention. If she can get to Epstein in a maximum security facility to protect the family…

13 Likes

No bets. They’re already actively covering it up, have doubled the “ok” radiation levels around the area…

3 Likes

Not a bet
It’s like South Park… “Nothing to see here people… move along.”

4 Likes
  • Rice’s story: “I didn’t get to the bottom of the steps before Scalise called me and he said, ‘Tom, you hit the wrong button’ and I said, ‘No, it was the right vote.’ Then he said, ‘You sure?’ And I said, ‘Absolutely.”

Scalise: “Inconceivable!”
Rice: “You keep using that word…”

(My iPad wants to turn “Scalise” into “Scaliness”, BTW.)

10 Likes

Look what we missed
First-ever ‘Men’s March to End Abortion’ Held in DC as Hundreds Pray for Pro-Life Cause – RedState

11 Likes

Good news and a Regan judge at that
Houston Methodist has been cleared by the Courts to fire over 100 employees for failing to get the COVID vaccine, as mandated by the hospital.

In the lawsuit, the workers compared the mandatory vaccination to Nazi experiments on concentration camp prisoners, which is shockingly offensive on its face
Federal Judge Throws COVID Anti-Vaxxers’ Suit Out Of Court | Crooks and Liars

16 Likes

I understand that there are many job openings in the food service industry, maybe they should consider a change in occupations.

10 Likes
  • What the journalists want: Assurance that this won’t happen again. “What we’re asking the attorney general tomorrow is to try to bind future administrations,” CNN Washington Bureau Chief Sam Feist said.

I’m not sure that’s possible, unless the DOJ is completely split off from the Executive Branch into a truly independent agency, where the AG isn’t a political appointment by each new President.

As I understand it, the only thing blocking a new administration from weaponizing the DOJ is the unwritten convention that “no, you shouldn’t do that.” There are no laws against it. All we have is the hope that a whistleblower might come forward and expose any malfeasance.

Maybe beefing up the Office of the Inspector General at DOJ could help, but it sure didn’t raise any flags with these phone subpoenas, or any of the other shenanigans that Sessions and Barr pulled to appease Trump.

1 Like

It’s always entertaining to check Fox “News” to see how they’re covering big republicans-violate-the-constitution news. For this installment of Trump treason, they’re ignoring the story altogether and suggesting the GOP wants answers from the DOJ on tax leaks for the rich. It’s truly an alternate reality the right lives in where huge news about their Dear Leader is completely ignored.

6 Likes

So now journalists are really concerned about the Trump administration’s malfeasance and they want answers NOW.

It’s all fun and games until you’re personally affected.

13 Likes

Well I would not want them handling my food, but each to their own

7 Likes

…Entirely populated by Incels with the motto, “If I can’t get any, you should be punished for getting some.”

6 Likes

As a former member of a scientific “user” community at Federal labs with rigid radiation safety standards raising the permissible exposure levels is a sign of something going very wrong.

17 Likes