Mnuchin On Trump Travel Advisory | Talking Points Memo

Treasury Secretary Steve Mnuchin provided some detail into what led President Trump to back away from his idea to quarantine the New York tri-state area to contain its surge of coronavirus cases, during an interview on Fox News Sunday morning.

This is a companion discussion topic for the original entry at https://talkingpointsmemo.com/?p=1300328
1 Like

“And in the third quarter of this year, you’re gonna see this economy bounce back with very large GDP numbers and very low unemployment back to where we were beforehand.”

Still producing suspension-of-disbelief-required type material, I see.

30 Likes

“What I do think is: we are gonna kill this virus. We’re gonna re-open this economy,” Mnuchin said. “And in the third quarter of this year, you’re gonna see this economy bounce back with very large GDP numbers and very low unemployment back to where we were beforehand.”

First of all, you’re not going to “kill” this virus. Beyond stupid. You may control it with a vaccine or treatment to acceptable levels, but this virus will remain with us.

Secondly, I’ll gladly take the bet the 3rd quarter won’t be this rosy. This will not age well.

27 Likes

Everything these idiots say and do is about 2 months behind. It’s like they’re living in a world on 60-day tape-delay.

15 Likes

25th Amendment, anyone?

Anyone??!!

18 Likes

Wow, I can actually smell the panic.

18 Likes

“It was the unanimous decision — the recommendation — of the task force to go forward with the advisory,” Mnuchin said.

“It was the unanimous decision — the recommendation — of the task force to go forward with the advisory,” and walk back Trump’s idiotic idea to quarantine New York. There FIFY Mnuchin.

7 Likes

Mnuchin: “I have great confidence that [ my brokerage account and the brokerage accounts of my good buddies] will become roaring back.”

8 Likes

"Mnuchin: Trump Travel Advisory Came After ‘Unanimous’ WH Task Force Recommendation”

In other words, Trump had a stupid idea, and everyone in the room kissed his ass by telling him he’s a genius and that it was a brilliant idea.

11 Likes

I can tolerate all this happy talk about “gonna kill this virus” like gleeful chirping about the impending visit from the tooth fairy. What I cannot abide is the vacant promise of an economy “roaring back”. Economies have momentum. The prosperity American has enjoyed is the continued momentum of a decade-long recovery. The virus represents the force majeure that brought economic activity to a standstill.

For anyone new to this rhetorical gamesmanship: Any interview with an administration official is a substitute campaign rally, especially on issues of the economy. All hopes were pinned on the economy for reelection before this thing hit. Happy talk about what will be is all they have left.

18 Likes

I wish they would panic. They would issue an advisory for a nationwide stay-at-home.

1 Like

Wow, trying to spin the great, stable genius as a wise and serious man who listens.

Crock of fucking shit.

11 Likes

It sounds like the Keystone Kops Klan took their chase out onto a 22nd floor ledge but Dr. Fauci talked them down. Again.

14 Likes

“And in the third quarter of this year, you’re gonna see this economy bounce back…”

Translation: “We promised Trump that by November 3 everything will be absolutely wonderful!”

8 Likes

The virus won’t be beaten by the fall nor will the economy recover. That’s basically impossible. What is possible, and hoped-for, is that by fall the worst will be over and we’ll be in recovery mode. It’ll take years for the economy to truly recover. It’s not like a car you put in storage for several months while you spend some time overseas, then start back up like nothing happened. Employees will have to be rehired and replacements trained, massive cash infusions and loans will need to be worked out and distributed, factories will have to go back online, distribution networks will have to be restarted, etc.

17 Likes

trumpically correct talk for the dear leader’s benefit!

1 Like

Unfortunately, panic does not always lead to a rational or useful response.

13 Likes

Are they all trying to out-Trump Trump with their stupidity? Or are they only talking to the gullible deplorables now

7 Likes

I resemble that remark.

5 Likes

They never do.

By the way, does anyone else think Mnuchin wouldn’t be quite so ugly if it weren’t for the failed Steven Tyler lip duplication surgery?

4 Likes
Comments are now Members-Only
Join the discussion Free options available