MN AG Reaches Settlement With Firm That Sought To Recruit Armed Polling Place Guards | Talking Points Memo

A security contractor that sought to recruit special operations veterans to patrol polling places in Minnesota has reached an agreement with the state’s attorney general’s office to abandon that effort, both sides announced Friday. 

This is a companion discussion topic for the original entry at https://talkingpointsmemo.com/?p=1340479

MN AG: “Here’s the agreement. The hired guns have agreed to fuck off, and we have agreed not to throw their miserable butts in jail, provided that they do in fact fuck off.”

33 Likes

HeaVily armed GuarD Need to Protect the Integrity of VoTing and Make it Fair. AnYbody Illegal Can voTe Now, blaCks, college sTudents, peopLe that hatE trUmp.

13 Likes

‘Atlas Aegis maintained that the company did not intend to intimidate or threaten Minnesotan voters’…uh huh. I have swampland to sell…

13 Likes

“They … will not be anywhere in Minnesota before, during, or after Election Day,” Ellison added.

Is that really part of the agreement?

1 Like

$50k penalty for subverting the electoral process in a state?

Sounds like a bargain.

10 Likes

I’d hope that’s $50K per incident. That’s the way most consent decrees work.

10 Likes

I’m just going by what the article says.

1 Like

I don’t get this - why are they settling with this bunch of terrorists?

4 Likes

Does it have any swampland in it?

3 Likes

They settled the matter, it wasn’t a financial settlement.

3 Likes

Yeah I see it now. Reread the story. Thanks.

5 Likes

What? Some MN security firm reached out to a fly by night company in TN to hire contracted men to provide security for buildings and property in MN? How many off duty security jobs did Chauvin have?
And has anyone disclosed the name of the MN security firm?

4 Likes

I don’t see anywhere this settlement precludes Trump from sending in the 101st Airborne.

1 Like

“protecting election polls” on its own accord.

In Minnesota, you are obligated to retreat before force can be used. You too, bois.

2 Likes

That probably exceeds the remit of a state AG. Which brings us to why Trumpie is so mad at Esper…

3 Likes

The “Posse Comitatus Law” of 1878 precludes that.

It SEVERELY limits the powers of the federal government in the use of federal military personnel to enforce domestic policies within the United States.

Basically, it states that US Military Personnel may NOT be used to “Execute Civilian Law” within the boundaries of the United States unless expressly authorized by Congress or the Constitution (as in suppressing “acts of Issurection”.)

5 Likes

News Flash: Trump Campaign offers to pay $50K penalty

2 Likes

Offering to pay and having any $$$ to pay are different things. Just saying.

4 Likes

From the press release linked in the article,

If Atlas Aegis violates the Assurance of Discontinuance, it is liable for a $50,000 penalty.

So sounds like one time penalty.

@wintermoon