Milley ‘Eroded’ Civilian Control Of Military With Trump-Era Crisis Actions | Talking Points Memo

Does he get a bonus from the GRU for every vacancy at the start of the fiscal year?
Just wondering, ya know.
ETA: It really seems beyond time to review and reconsider this so readily corruptible practice.

8 Likes

Milley is ok, Trump says it is fake news.

16 Likes

Oh, well. That’s all sorted then.

14 Likes

I’ll get back to the others, but cause of circumstances, i agree with three.

1 Like

Wasn’t there a story from the 2020 election where a woman was told she couldn’t enter her polling place because she had a Biden shirt on? And then didn’t she just remove her shirt, and went in to vote shirtless?

6 Likes

In most States, this person would have been dismissed by the election judge or whomever is in charge.

No logos; no writing of any kind. Supposed to be non-partisan. I would be reporting this.

4 Likes

In a sense, what Milley did here is the right, albeit technically wrong thing.

In so doing I expect he knew that he may be putting his career on the line. Thus the decision was not one taken lightly. Nor should it be.

Basically I think it is exactly how it should have worked. Extraordinary situation, extraordinary reaction.

It being basically an illegal move means someone like Milley would only ever do such a thing in such an extreme situation. As it should be.

What played out was basically the correct solution to the old torture canard…

“What if we know a suspect has the info that could help thwart an attack and same thousands of lives, should torture he legal?”

Answer: no torture is illegal.
Though in an extreme situation a Cia type could on theory decide to break that rule knowing it illegal and take that risk on. That really would only ever happen in the most dire of circumstances given that risk so it would not be a light decision. (For my hypothetical this Cia type does save the world)

In both cases each person should be fired despite saving the world. They broke the rules/law.

Maybe we otherwise go easy enough on them

3 Likes

I will challenge all of this only under the circumstance that this is just coming out NOW, fully eight months after it all allegedly happened.

How’s come this is just coming out now?

2 Likes

To sell a book?

4 Likes

Someone should ask where are the results of his VD test.

1 Like

I completely agree.

I think also there’s a difference between a whim and an informed judgement. Trump put Milley on guard, when he attempted to use Milley as a prop at the church.

4 Likes

Still it is a part of that narrative. Who keeps something like this suppressed for eight months?

1 Like

When “civilian control” is in the hands of a madman, I think we have to be grateful that someone saw the danger and reacted. Sadly, Milley’s career is probably another tRump casualty.

3 Likes

I expect there is some sensationalism here, and that it is being overstated as to what happened.

If it was really that bad, I expect Milley would have known he was out of line (right or not) and offered resignation, or it would have been a thing…

2 Likes

Well, i would assume Milley wouldn’t be any too anxious to get out and brag about this, and certainly any Trumpsters who were aware of it likewise not happy about this hitting the headlines. Probably a whole lot of folks just hoping it would (continue to) stay under wraps.

1 Like

I’d like to say that she made her points, but I must have missed that.

4 Likes

Live by the sword, die by the sword… fall on the sword.

Oh you kidder.

2 Likes

In a day and time when every scrap of damaging news is battered, baked and fried relentlessly minute by minute in the crass attempt to get eyes on the story, I have a hard time thinking everyone would have ignored this.

This is pretty significant if even half true and there are too many threads wrapped around this to say it didn’t happen.

3 Likes

Try to keep abreast of things, Ralph.

10 Likes
Comments are now Members-Only
Join the discussion Free options available