Milley ‘Eroded’ Civilian Control Of Military With Trump-Era Crisis Actions | Talking Points Memo

If this is all true, then Gen. Milley did exactly the right thing. And he needs to resign.

We are a nation of laws, not men. If he did these things, Milley broke the law and undermined the office of the President, civilian control of the military, and the Constitution itself. And I will not say that he should be proud of having done so… but I will say that while he likely regrets the necessity of his actions, he should never regret rising to meet that necessity. But that does not mean he can remain in his position as Chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff.

If anything, Gen. Milley’s actions should be viewed through the lens of civil disobedience: the refusal to obey to a law that compels immoral behavior. The thing about civil disobedience though… it comes with consequences, and the consequences are part of the point. Accepting the consequences of our civil disobedience is important. When we engage in civil disobedience, we are calling attention to our issues and placing the case before our peers to ultimately render their judgment of our cause. And we may say ‘I will never stop working to convince you’, but that social compact only has weight and power if we accept the consequences that society says we should incur. And in doing so, we magnify the power of our commitment by demonstrating our confidence in the righteousness of our cause. Dr. King did not insist he should not be arrested for breaking the law. He used the arrests to raise the profile of the issues he was protesting.

If General Mark A. Milley has done what it is alleged he did, then he has done this nation a tremendous service. Now he should do one last thing to serve his country: he should show Republicans that accepting the consequences of our actions is an honorable and patriotic act, and resign.

25 Likes

If the Dem prez was as delusional, maniacal, vengeful and insane as TFG, then yes, I would be good with a JCS Chair putting in place a plan to prevent the prez from dragging us all into oblivion because of a temper tantrum.

17 Likes

Josh Hawley

Ut oh.

There really is a very serious case against him.

4 Likes

In the days after the Jan. 6 Capitol insurrection, Joint Chief of Staff Chairman Gen. Mark Milley reportedly became “involved” in the country’s nuclear chain of command, and also assured his Chinese military counterpart that an attack from the U.S. was not forthcoming.

Sorry to be a buzz kill. But all we have to go on are previews of a book. Will there be any actual evidence?

16 Likes

I don’t think I have the words to express how much I detest this jumped up slapper/pantry boy. And with the retirement of Blunt there are two more ready, willing, able to win his seat. :man_facepalming: :woman_facepalming: :man_facepalming: :woman_facepalming:

10 Likes

This is one of those cases where Schumer should just say, “That’s too bad, Josh,” and just hold the vote anyway. This rule that one Senator can completely block any nominee is one of those anti-democratic rules, and needs to be scrapped.

16 Likes

The idiot was drunk, so there’s that.

3 Likes

Indeed. Which is why any calls for him to resign must be prefaced with ‘if this is true’. And the only way we can know if this is true is if there is actual evidence… or if Milley stands up to say his own version of Sam Jackson’s, “Yes, they deserved to die, and I hope they burn in hell!”

And if he did this? I hope to hell he does get to have that moment, preferably in front of Senators and/or Representatives that he can look in the eye and shame for their complicitness.

16 Likes

At this point, I’m not concerned with Milley. If Biden is so inclined, let him fire and replace Milley. There’s other fish to fry right now

https://twitter.com/djrothkopf/status/1437877147683758080

8 Likes

OT

https://twitter.com/fakedansavage/status/1437888554189799430

Dan Savage
@fakedansavage

So… this was the poll worker that handed my friend a ballot at a polling place in West Hollywood when he showed up to vote in the CA recall election.

If nothing else, they are brazen ignoramuses.

10 Likes

When a minority of the country installs a mentally unfit authoritarian with the help of a foreign adversary, and said authoritarian in fact answers to that same foreign adversary, don’t be surprised when fundamental norms go out the window.

9 Likes

leaving this here

6 Likes

In Kansas he would be breaking the law regarding electioneering.

10 Likes

Like all who serve on active duty, General Miley took an oath to protect the country from all enemies - foreign and domestic. As far as I am concerned, he was upholding his oath. I, for one, am grateful.

22 Likes

In California, he’s just another asshole.

ETA. According to Dan he was removed.

10 Likes

Oh I think the fundamental norms started to leave the Capitol on Nov 8th, 2000. And once a big norm goes, then it’s easier to get a lot of smaller norms to go.

5 Likes

Stop with the yelling. It’s a clear message to the rest of us to ignore and move on.

I always wanted to name one of my dogs Holofernes, but Mrs VH put her foot down. Magog was right out, too.

7 Likes
  1. The consistution deliberately splits civilian control of the military between the executive and the legislative. Just because congress is too chicken to exercise its war powers doesn’t mean they don’t exist.
    I think you could reasonably argue
    a) the existing nuke law is unconstitutional by giving the president unilateral power to start a war and
    b) Miley supported civilian control by supporting the house’s intent (as conveyed by its chosen speaker) not to start a war.

2. Whatever damage was done by Miley’s action has been at least partially repaired by the fact that a democratic president just ordered a (presumably) Republican top brass to end a war. And they did it. Many of them profoundly disagreed with the decision, and there was plenty of (anonymous) bitching to the press, but the military followed the orders of the civilian.

3. The AUMF needs to be repealed like now. Congress declares war. Period.

12 Likes

But experts in civil-military relations that TPM spoke with described his actions, as reported, as taking a chunk out of civilian control of the military, while also posing a fundamental problem to the military’s chain of command. (Emphasis mine.)

There should be an official investigation of this and I will hold-fire until we find out more.

3 Likes
Comments are now Members-Only
Join the discussion Free options available