Milley Drafted Fiery Resignation Letter After Lafayette Square Incident: New Book

Mark Milley, former chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff, reportedly drafted a resignation letter in the wake of his infamous stroll with then-President Trump and other senior officials through Lafayette Square after federal police used tear gas and flash bangs to disperse a peaceful Black Lives Matter protest outside the White House in June 2020.

This is a companion discussion topic for the original entry at https://talkingpointsmemo.com/?p=1427902

Trump made him look like a fool, so he wrote a book?

5 Likes

The part about the generation which fought in the Second World War, I am happy that Milley referred to that.

Imagine having to surrender those gains to Donald Trump.

29 Likes

I believe he “appears” in another book. Not one he wrote (yet)

So much chaos and loss of respect sown my Trump. :frowning:

8 Likes
16 Likes

He should have resigned and made this letter public,

This is NOT the kinda stuff to keep behind closed doors if you TRULY love the country.

13 Likes

You are correct, this is not from a book by Miley.

2 Likes

Yes, That was quick
Jan. 6 committee now has Alex Jones texts - Raw Story - Celebrating 18 Years of Independent Journalism

The Jan. 6 committee has received about two years’ worth of text messages sent and received by conspiracy theorist Alex Jones.
The data was handed over to the House select committee by attorney Mark Bankston, who represented two Sandy Hook parents who won nearly $50 million in penalties in their defamation suit against Jones and received the contents of the phone after the right-wing broadcaster’s lawyers mistakenly sent them, reported CNN.

26 Likes

Sorry, I don’t have the slightest idea what this means … are we pillorying Trump here, or Greenwald? Both? Neither? Sorry to be dense.

5 Likes

Mark Milley, former chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff,

@summer_concepcion As far as I can tell, General Milley is the current Chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff.

7 Likes

So instead of resigning and being a one-day story, he didn’t and made himself a no-day story. Great advice he got, there.

3 Likes

I worried about him in particular, too. Who could hold their face like that all day and not become it?

I think Gates’ advice was solid. Who the hell knows WHAT would’ve happened if his replacement had ok’d the Insurrection Act.

26 Likes

In this article, the reader is led to focus on the difference between a totalitarian ruler and a democratically elected president…and the relationship of both with their military leaders.

It is clear that Trump fits the former type.

Many a totalitarian is elected first.

16 Likes

I’m glad he was there on Jan. 6.

19 Likes

That’s the kind of resignation letters that we needed from Trump officials who left when they realized what an awful administration it was, and that Trump was doing bad things. Instead, they were all milquetoast gibberish that made Trump sound like a normal president they regretted leaving.

But, it’s also very good that Milley did not leave, otherwise there may have been a Trump toady in place, or someone willing to go along, when Trump started maneuvering to hold onto the office. Someone not as principled as Milley may just have allowed the military to grab voting machines or put troops on the ground in an attempt to “instill order” and start a military takeover. We’re fortunate enough key people, including Milley, were in place to stop that…there’s no guarantee that will be true the next time a Republican president decides to start their dictatorship.

37 Likes

Yet Milley ultimately did not follow through with his resignation.

The only operative sentence in the entire thing.

Getting really tired of people trying to whitewash their involvement with, and their enabling of, Trump.

6 Likes

I don’t think it’s that clear-cut with Milley. His replacement could have been worse, and he was instrumental in making sure no shenanigans were pulled by Trump involving the military in the post-election phase.

30 Likes

The PitchBot is a New York Times parody headline writer. So, yes to pillorying Trump and Greewald and NYT.

9 Likes

This is not over,folks. Trumpsters still populate the defense establishment and the officer corps skews heavily GOP. One way we can tell if we are approaching electoral autocracy is the opening up of a “desert” around the Fearless Leader. Putin is a good example but just recall how depleted the Trump administration became in its last year.

15 Likes
Comments are now Members-Only
Join the discussion Free options available