Michigan Police Brace For Potential State Capitol Riots | Talking Points Memo

That’s been here from the beginning of European colonization but there was a time when working people voted for Democrats.

This is the state thst worries me the most. I hope they’re prepared.

Don’t know, I’ve been avoiding his cheese whiz-sodden “steaks” since long before he started with the xenophobia.

I watched an interview with Toady Todd interviewing some MSNBC reporter at the State Capitol in Lansing a little while ago. Dumbest questions ever. He is so fucking lame. How is he still on television? He’s so emotionally detached from real world events. He barely expends any serious energy doing the job of a real news host and what comes out is nothing but shallow observations. Every idiotic question he poses proves he has such difficulty grasping the immense dangers that the country is in at this moment in time. Btw, the weather Chuckie isn’t going to stop anyone here if they choose to storm the statehouse, jackass. He thinks because he sees snow it must mean we’re gonna have a snowstorm to stop the insurrectionists. Just trite stereotypes of MI. No Todd. Its fucking balmy here, above freezing temps. That’s why we have snow here that turned into a mushy mess all winter. Idiot. Oh, and banning long guns will doing nothing as concealed carry is still allowed without even so much as metal detectors upon entry. Do your fucking homework or get off the air.

Ah, I see now where we diverge. Something I’ve never said during this whole era of Trump was (and this is going to sound awful) that I was always just waiting for him to overstep, violence to ensue, and blood to be shed. Because only that could break the spell of Trumpism. Only that. And that has now happened.

You can see why I’ve never voiced this. It’s a shocking thing to say. But it colors how I see the rioting at our nation’s Capitol. The way I see that event, it’s what shook awake the people that needed to be shaken awake. Until that happened, the guard was down, but now the guard is up. Not to say there aren’t angry deluded fools out there (these we will have with us always) but they will no longer walk with entitlement. Even if they don’t fully realize that yet, they will meet with very different conditions next they venture out. And that will be apparent to them then even if it isn’t now.

1 Like

White working people

Yeah, I think that is where we respectfully diverge. I hope you’re right, but I really fear that some of them will have taken the lesson to heart not that they failed, but that they came so close to success (as defined by them. Not that an occupation of the Capitol was ever going to result in anything other than an eviction).

It’s whether those folks show up on Sunday, having figured out what they think went wrong in D.C. and to not make the same mistake back home.

They’re not thanks to a commission that refuses to institute a total gun ban and metal detectors at the very least. Even the MI AG will say so admitting measures have fallen short to protect all concerned, though she’s still trying to do her best. The GOP-led legislature also is intent to play the same moronic games. They’ve pretty much hitched their wagon to the tRumptrain and his base for fear they’ll lose their electoral base. I can’t wait until redistricting takes place in our state. We have a new system that will make sure it will be a fairer process and we now have a Dem. majority Supreme Court to handle any complaints and lawsuits.

4 Likes

Once inside, most of them just milled around aimlessly, some looting and vandalism as the mob energy crashed. Nearly all of them didn’t have anything to figure out because they never had anything even resembling a plan in the first place. Then the arrests started. And the no-fly terrorism restrictions. And the seeping awareness of omg can I blame this on antifa or am I screwed for the entire rest of my life and wtf was I thinking

1 Like

The Shaman, according to the stream currently on NYT, told the FBI that he was still planning to come back for the inauguration.

So hope that they may have learned lessons might be optimistic.

Just another case of “if you have nothing to hide, why aren’t you wearing a body camera”?

1 Like

Shamalamadindong is cooling his heels in jail where he’s busy negotiating for an organic-food diet because his pure and delicate essence could never stomach ordinary prison fare

1 Like

Just our democracy.

You can’t put a dollar amount on it, and therefore, to the Right, it has no value.

Still, doesn’t seem like he’s learned his lesson if he’s bragging about planning to do it all again.

All respect, friend, hope you’re right, we’ll see this weekend!

They could easily have beaten him to death if that had gone wrong.

1 Like

The legislature is shut down next. Which given the GOP owning both houses, is a good thing. As it is now they’re seriously discussing nixing any new appointees Whitmer puts forward until she lets the restaurants open now, instead of in February. The senator pushing it owns a Pizza place.

Maybe while they’re at home they can consider how coddling the unregulated militias has got them hiding in their dens.
1 Like

Hopefully these law enforcement officers and the National Guardsmen will have clearly stated rules of engagement, up to and including “shoot to kill.” The only way to deescalate mob violence is with a significantly increased level of violence. These people are generally “useful idiots,” being incited to insurrection by leaders with little care for them. They will easily back down when faced with possibly lethal response.

Apparently, in truly mind boggling rightwing logic, the Michigan Legislature banned open carry, but did not ban concealed carry, so the terrorists can be armed, they just have to have the weapons concealed while terrorizing the people in the Capitol building.

1 Like

So…QAnon followers and would be insurrectionists have discovered it was ALL FAKE NEWS on their “side” of the argument and the CHIEF FAKER was the head con man himself, Donald J. Trump. Pathetic, or as they say “money talks and bullshit walks”.

If real Patriots stand up for the values America was founded on and documented in the Declaration of Independence and The Constitution, these “fakers” will melt away as surely as crushed ice on a hot summer day. They are all cowards.

I still contend if the Capitol Police had opened fire with their service revolvers from the top of the Capitol steps, all these macho men and women would have run for their deplorable lives and the Capitol would not have been disgraced. They are all cowards and I expect we will hear nothing but whimpering as they are all sentenced to 5-20 years in Club Fed for their abject stupidity, with no chance for parole.

The real threat from these people is not violence, but intimidation. We cannot let such a pathetic and ignorant mob stop us from creating a More Perfect Union and the world’s only true multi-cultural society. Unlike all the “fake” ambitions of the MAGA crowd, this is our true destiny, and the best hope for a Humanity too often scarred by conflict.

Comments are now Members-Only
Join the discussion Free options available