Michigan Police Brace For Potential State Capitol Riots | Talking Points Memo

You might want to review the worst of the images from Lansing, in which heavily armed invaders were standing around in groups. In every one of them, their rifles are pointing down at the ground. Not one rifle was ever aimed at anyone during even that most shocking of Michigan protests. Not one. Why? Because, while it was legal to openly carry these long guns into the State Capitol, it was illegal to point them at anyone. This was an angry mob of armed rightwingers putting on a show of force and even in that oh so very tempting situation not one of them risked stepping over a legal line – even when there wasn’t a line of army reservists staring them down.

1 Like

That cell was fighting the Alamo.

Funny how all these discontents are really quite well off. Their success means they can criticize anyone, and find the easiest answer often.

Older men, and I am becoming one in age, all seem to think that ‘holding a job’ and ‘buying a house’, or ‘raising a child’ is some great achievement.

They all look like punks to me. They couldn’t handle a shot of what I’ve drunk by the pint.

All fair points. Except that that wasn’t happening in the wake of an invasion of the Capitol, and with explicit calls for taking over State Capitol buildings.

Last time they just hung out in the guest gallery. And with the ban on open carry now, will they turn around when the cops stop them from coming in?

The absence of guns in Lansing was also noteworthy.

I just read this article and the surprising thing was of course not the domestic terrorists cheering the murderer, but that it is apparently legal for a minor, murderer or otherwise, to drink in a bar in WI if a parent is present and approves. Maw Rittenhouse was totally down, of course. Freedumb!

He’s an idiot. He doesn’t care about legality; he’s really just interested in pandering.

It’s worth revisiting Max Weber’s theory that Calvinism’s tendency to view success as God’s blessing greatly influenced the rise of Capitalism in “the west”. Calvinism was a strong force in our nation’s early history and the tendency to view wealth as a mark of God’s favor remains a pervasive viewpoint. The politician who can convince our malcontents that s/he will battle the forces of evil that are holding back God’s blessings from the faithful is tapping into a deep well of social conditioning. Republicans are much “better” at doing this than we are.

@reggid

3 Likes

Do they still have the sign saying you have to order in English?

That’s been here from the beginning of European colonization but there was a time when working people voted for Democrats.

This is the state thst worries me the most. I hope they’re prepared.

Don’t know, I’ve been avoiding his cheese whiz-sodden “steaks” since long before he started with the xenophobia.

I watched an interview with Toady Todd interviewing some MSNBC reporter at the State Capitol in Lansing a little while ago. Dumbest questions ever. He is so fucking lame. How is he still on television? He’s so emotionally detached from real world events. He barely expends any serious energy doing the job of a real news host and what comes out is nothing but shallow observations. Every idiotic question he poses proves he has such difficulty grasping the immense dangers that the country is in at this moment in time. Btw, the weather Chuckie isn’t going to stop anyone here if they choose to storm the statehouse, jackass. He thinks because he sees snow it must mean we’re gonna have a snowstorm to stop the insurrectionists. Just trite stereotypes of MI. No Todd. Its fucking balmy here, above freezing temps. That’s why we have snow here that turned into a mushy mess all winter. Idiot. Oh, and banning long guns will doing nothing as concealed carry is still allowed without even so much as metal detectors upon entry. Do your fucking homework or get off the air.

Ah, I see now where we diverge. Something I’ve never said during this whole era of Trump was (and this is going to sound awful) that I was always just waiting for him to overstep, violence to ensue, and blood to be shed. Because only that could break the spell of Trumpism. Only that. And that has now happened.

You can see why I’ve never voiced this. It’s a shocking thing to say. But it colors how I see the rioting at our nation’s Capitol. The way I see that event, it’s what shook awake the people that needed to be shaken awake. Until that happened, the guard was down, but now the guard is up. Not to say there aren’t angry deluded fools out there (these we will have with us always) but they will no longer walk with entitlement. Even if they don’t fully realize that yet, they will meet with very different conditions next they venture out. And that will be apparent to them then even if it isn’t now.

1 Like

White working people

Yeah, I think that is where we respectfully diverge. I hope you’re right, but I really fear that some of them will have taken the lesson to heart not that they failed, but that they came so close to success (as defined by them. Not that an occupation of the Capitol was ever going to result in anything other than an eviction).

It’s whether those folks show up on Sunday, having figured out what they think went wrong in D.C. and to not make the same mistake back home.

They’re not thanks to a commission that refuses to institute a total gun ban and metal detectors at the very least. Even the MI AG will say so admitting measures have fallen short to protect all concerned, though she’s still trying to do her best. The GOP-led legislature also is intent to play the same moronic games. They’ve pretty much hitched their wagon to the tRumptrain and his base for fear they’ll lose their electoral base. I can’t wait until redistricting takes place in our state. We have a new system that will make sure it will be a fairer process and we now have a Dem. majority Supreme Court to handle any complaints and lawsuits.

4 Likes

Once inside, most of them just milled around aimlessly, some looting and vandalism as the mob energy crashed. Nearly all of them didn’t have anything to figure out because they never had anything even resembling a plan in the first place. Then the arrests started. And the no-fly terrorism restrictions. And the seeping awareness of omg can I blame this on antifa or am I screwed for the entire rest of my life and wtf was I thinking

1 Like

The Shaman, according to the stream currently on NYT, told the FBI that he was still planning to come back for the inauguration.

So hope that they may have learned lessons might be optimistic.

Just another case of “if you have nothing to hide, why aren’t you wearing a body camera”?

1 Like

Shamalamadindong is cooling his heels in jail where he’s busy negotiating for an organic-food diet because his pure and delicate essence could never stomach ordinary prison fare

1 Like
Comments are now Members-Only
Join the discussion Free options available