Michigan Judge Blocks New Ban On Open Carry At Polling Places | Talking Points Memo

This would have been a nice addition to the article, TPM:

https://ballotpedia.org/Christopher_Murray

Christopher Murray is a judge of the Michigan 1st District Court of Appeals. He assumed office in 2002. His current term ends on January 1, 2021.

Murray is running for re-election for judge of the [Michigan 1st District Court of Appeals](https://ballotpedia.org/Michigan_First_District_Court_of_Appeals). He is on the ballot in the general election on [November 3, 2020](https://ballotpedia.org/Michigan_intermediate_appellate_court_elections,_2020).

Additionally, in May 2015, Murray was appointed by the Michigan Supreme Court to serve as a judge on the Michigan Court of Claims. He was re-appointed in 2019. This role is in addition to his appellate court duties. His term expires on May 1, 2021.[1][2]

• Member, Board of Directors, Catholic Lawyers’ Society
  • Member, Board of Directors, Detroit Metropolitan Bar Association
  • Member, Board of Advisors, Michigan Chapter of the Federalist Society
  • Member, Michigan Board of Law Examiners
  • Member, University of Detroit Mercy Inns of Court [3]
10 Likes

That’s exactly how California got its gun control laws. Black Panthers started openly carrying around Sacramento and Governor St. Ronnie of Raygun couldn’t sign a gun control law quickly enough.

4 Likes

And they were hoping for another tRump bailout of sorts that went to a lot of those corporations in the earlier tranches that was intended and should’ve gone to small businesses instead.

2 Likes

Not disagreeing with you at all on where the law ought to be, just assessing that voter intimidation is a difficult charge when state law expressly allows the conduct that serves as the basis of the offense in any other context. Of course, that does not mean that arrests should not be made. There is value in testing the hypothesis!

4 Likes

Understood.

1 Like

Wall Street isn’t just looking for money for businesses. Wall Street is looking for money for consumers, otherwise goods that are produced by businesses don’t get purchased as often as the business models predicted. Excess production capacity then means that more people get laid off, implying fewer consumers with money, implying fewer goods are purchased, meaning more excess capacity, meaning more people are laid off, meaning rinse and repeat.

We’re starting into a tail spin now, and if there’s no stimulus soon, then Satan’s Avatar will hand off a Depression (perhaps Great) to Biden when he takes over. And then Satan’s Avatar and Moscow Mitch will try to blame it on Biden, Pelosi and the Democrats. Because that’s what BLOTUS IMPOTUS and Moscow Mitch always do. ETTD, and Everything Moscow Mitch Can Block He Does, which leaves it to others to clean up and We The People are forced to pick up the tab.

8 Likes

As much as we need to win the WH, we’ll need the Senate too. Giving Biden another round with #ditchMoscowMitch will be a disaster.

2 Likes

Why not also attach :

gun activists Robert Davis and Thomas Lambert. The latter was joined by Michigan Open Carry, Michigan Gun Owners and the Michigan Coalition for Responsible Gun Owners.

1 Like

MIchigan is starting to make AZ gun laws look sane - and that is no easy task.

I remember the first time I saw an armed man walk by me in a restaurant - I was fairly shocked. But the Arizona legislature has, over time, done everything but make carrying a weapon mandatory. You can buy a gun via any “private” sale you want to, and you can carry it openly if you are 18 and you can carry it concealed if you are 21. The law does say that you can’t carry if the proprietor of a private establishment like a restaurant or a Walmart requests you not to carry. Interestingly, there are signs at the state capitol that you cannot carry there, but the signs are only at the front door. Legislators who come in the back door where there is no sign still carry all of the time. Most importantly, it is illegal to carry anywhere closer than 75 feet to a polling place, but you can be armed to the teeth at 76 feet.

JFC.

4 Likes

Sure - the more, the merrier.

They’d better hope for no violence. Seriously.

1 Like

He noted that state law already prohibits openly carrying firearms in some locations used as polling places, such as churches, and added in italics: “Just as importantly, voter intimidation is already a crime.”

That’s like saying that we should no longer outlaw drunk driving “because vehicular manslaughter is already a crime.”

8 Likes

We’ll see what happens when NFAC opens a chapter in Michiagn.

3 Likes

I have never confronted anyone carrying a gun near a polling place. I am a very large person, and someone who is fearful enough or feckless enough or insecure enough to need to openly carry a weapon near a polling place will likely automatically see me as a threat to their personal safety if I approach them. I could yell at them from across a parking lot, but bullets can travel pretty far. I suppose I could bring a long barrel 10 gauge shotgun to the same location, but I don’t think that would make me or anyone else feel safer.

I wonder just what the hell are they thinking? Are they even “thinking”? WHY are they doing this? What is their MOTIVATION? Penile enhancement? Do they honestly believe that they make others feel safer? It’s obvious that they do this because they believe they have the Right to do it, but that doesn’t answer the question of WHY THEY DO IT. Except for 2020, I’ve been going to the same polling place for more than a decade, and I have never seen anything that required a gun. Not once.

I’ve already voted, but I’ll be providing transportation to get some folks to the polls if needed. (Wide open windows in the car and masks and visors all around won’t make it very enjoyable, but that’s a requirement.) If I see anyone with a gun once I perform a drop-off, I might just jokingly tell them they look pretty silly and tell them that deer hunting with a gun doesn’t open until November 21.

5 Likes

I like the way that you “sniff” things out.

2 Likes

It’s the sniff test: if it smells like bullshit, then it is.

2 Likes

Now, for the trifecta, does anyone know who his opponent is and does he/she have a shot?

1 Like

Hate losing money but it’s only on paper. In the meantime, so glad the market is tanking right now before the election. Hey all you rich so-and-sos, don’t forget to vote your pocketbook and vote for Biden.

4 Likes

Looks like the only three candidates are already on the bench.

You have to scroll down quite a bit to get to the court candidates.

2 Likes

Great. 2 of the 3 have an anti-abortion endorsement, and it appears all 3 are unopposed.

2 Likes

That’s how I took it…

1 Like
Comments are now Members-Only
Join the discussion Free options available