McConnell Backs Bipartisan Bill To Prevent Next Jan. 6

Wednesday afternoon, Senate Minority Leader Mitch McConnell (R-KY) signaled his support for a bill seeking to overhaul the Electoral Count Act of 1887, a century-old election administration law.

This is a companion discussion topic for the original entry at https://talkingpointsmemo.com/?p=1433800
1 Like

Don’t believe it and what is his angle?

12 Likes

Evidently the polling is in. Who new Americans would prefer democracy to autocracy? Go figure.

31 Likes

Golly. Who would ever imagine that McConnell, just before midterms involving some very far right folks who would kick him to the side in a minute, decides to come out as Mr. Reasonable? He’s playing 4th dimension chess and every move is aimed at keeping power - his power.

4 Likes

I have to agree with McConnell. The Democrats are the problem. /snark

15 Likes

For all of his many faults, McConnell considers himself a patriot and wants the system to continue to function as a democracy. He’s never been onboard the Trump train, and definitely isn’t a fan of the move of the Republican party towards fascism…the fact that he’s one of the people responsible for that path probably isn’t something he realizes. And, he probably does see the possibility of Democrats cheating the system to install their own candidate as president, especially as demographics shift, and he wants to keep Republicans in power as long as possible.

Put all that together, and it’s not really a surprise he’d support this…I’m sure he it looking at it as a way to guarantee no interference when Republicans win the White House, because he’s focused on Republican power, but it’s still also a good thing for the nation. We’ll see if there is follow through though, it’s always possible he’s planning to torpedo this because he’s secretly onboard the Trump train but has hidden it until now.

7 Likes

Non-Cultist GOPers can scheme, too.

In any event, it doesn’t deter the need to Roe the Boat to Senate/House Victory

7 Likes

His angle is to use the structural inequities of the Electoral college and the overrepresentation of rural areas already in place to take power.

And besides a Democrat is VP, want to make sure that can’t pull the same shit

17 Likes

Say what you want about McConnell, and I’ve said many things, when it comes to sticking it to TFG, he’s going to be all-in. I’ll bet that if the bill offered a provision to duct tape TFG’s mouth shut, he’d climb aboard.

6 Likes

I don’t know about McConnell wanting to preserve the democracy. He knows full well that he chose to stifle democracy when he made it his sole objective to make Obama a one term President, then withhold consideration of the Garland nomination, and ram through Barrett.

13 Likes

More “Low key all in” ge still has to play nice with the crazies. He can’t be overtly all in.

3 Likes

Ok, thanks. I’m a little off my game today, and I couldn’t figure where Mr. Turtle was coming from, and how much of it was poisonous.

8 Likes
7 Likes

Dust hasn’t cleared, but smeg is still useful.

2 Likes

He knows when the crazies push too far. It impressed me when he declared Biden the winner. One might think that he would play footsie with the Q crowd with some ambiguous statement that could be interpreted as tacit support for their insurrection.

4 Likes

If Beelzebub had a spiritual advisor, I’m pretty sure it would be Mitch McConnell.

25 Likes

His next job

5 Likes

“For more than twenty years now every time voters have picked a Republican president, we’ve seen some Democrats and Congress resist the people’s decision and try to challenge the electoral count.

15 Likes

He and Cheif Justice Roberts share that attribute, but Roberts no longer has control of his caucus of 6…

10 Likes

That dude is becoming a footnote at light speed.

4 Likes
Comments are now Members-Only
Join the discussion Free options available