McCarthy Is Still Trying To Crawl Back Into Ex-POTUS’ Good Graces | Talking Points Memo

House Minority Leader Kevin McCarthy (R-CA) on Saturday seemed to drive at an objective he’s been trying to reach for more than a month now: to win back the favor of a departed president who still holds overwhelming sway in the Republican Party.

This is a companion discussion topic for the original entry at https://talkingpointsmemo.com/?p=1362497

Dude, you’re toast. You NEVER should have talked back to the Orange One.

17 Likes

Another supposed Christian worshiping the golden calf. Or in Trump’s case, the golden slug.

17 Likes

Does this indicate independence of thought?

(No, don’t answer that.)

9 Likes

Some folks jes like to crawl, and there’s nothing wrong with that.

10 Likes

Qevin, you must be such a disappointment to your mother.

A boy can only have one mother.

6 Likes

“President Trump worked on all these races,” McCarthy said, regaling the audience with a story about Trump holding “rallies over the phone” for candidates from his hospital bed when he was sick with COVID-19 in October.

It bears repeating: it’s only a matter of time until the reactionaries reminisce about watching him swim the Yangtze River.
The man’s abilities border on the paranormal.

19 Likes

Yes, they don’t understand that, with Donnie, there’s no plausible reparation for perceived slights.

5 Likes

I’ve lost count. Is this McCarthy’s 900th or 901 death? I have a sense he’s going well past 1000.

11 Likes

I don’t know if McCarthy matters to anyone but himself, but I read earlier that Trump is also mad at Nikki Haley for daring to say a true thing about him, and Haley IMHO has a pretty good shot at being an effective candidate in 2024. If he poisons the well for her that’s presumably one threat in 2024 that we can cross out. Please proceed, Donald, and let your pathologies light your path.

29 Likes

GOP incumbents who defied polls by keeping their seats

This reveals:

A) Republicans expected Trump would do badly, but didn’t expect voters to split the ticket.

B) If Republicans run an extremely unpopular presidential candidate in the next election, they’ll do even better. (?)

6 Likes

Pathetic.

4 Likes

The interesting thing for me is that Cheney smashed Trump twice, and Trump is pouting and expecting others to take care of her for him. He’s not man enough to face her himself.

26 Likes

Poetic.

6 Likes

I don’t think it’s that he talked back, it’s that Kevo can’t squash Liz. I wonder if Donnie is afraid of Dick?

5 Likes

For Trump, there is no plausible candidate for 2024 other than his exalted self. He will do whatever he can to sabotage absolutely anyone else.

8 Likes

That will be fine.

7 Likes

“President Trump worked on all these races,” McCarthy said during the Saturday afternoon panel, regaling the audience with a story about Trump holding “rallies over the phone” for candidates

Lol, those phone calls were Trump hoping for praise and in return he’d say their name out loud at some point. What a bunch of sycophants and weasels.

11 Likes

“The least popular in our party are those who want to erase Donald Trump and the Donald Trump supporters from our party,”

And the most popular are the ones who want to erase you, Kevin.

5 Likes

…regaling the audience with a story about Trump holding “rallies over the phone” for candidates…

Trump talking to someone’s campaign manager on the phone is not a “rally.” It’s the germ of a criminal conspiracy.

7 Likes