Markup Of For The People Act Revealed Depth Of GOP’s Adherence To Disinfo

This article is part of TPM Cafe, TPM’s home for opinion and news analysis.

This is a companion discussion topic for the original entry at https://talkingpointsmemo.com/?p=1374057

“Despite the eight hours of revisions and arguments in the markup, there is still not a single Republican that supports S. 1.”

Soon-To-Appear Unnamed Major American Newspaper Lament: “Dems Refuse Compromise on S1.”

PS: Eat my dust, @dannydorko!

40 Likes

(Gratuitous reply to provide a clickable link)

13 Likes

Speaking of NOT for the people…

17 Likes

You snooze, you lose. @dannydorko

8 Likes

Lamborn, the pride of the far right wing clan and Air Force Academy (but I repeat myself) in Colorado Springs.

12 Likes

The Goober point of view when “working with democrats”…

turd

This is what McConnell thinks of anything the democrats want.

5 Likes

I swear our current crop of Democratic members of Congress must feel like babysitters. :grimacing:
Objections made in bad faith, and without facts to back up their assertions.

14 Likes

With pleasure relish!

6 Likes

The 2021 version of “compromise”

15 Likes

The GQP in the Senate is determined to change the For The People Act into the Fuck The People Act.

24 Likes

They have to. They know they can’t win ever again if more people vote.

8 Likes

If this doesn’t convince Manchin and Sinema that Republicans are acting in bad faith, then they are operating in bad faith.

23 Likes

Manchin’s probably still chewing on the smack in the face he got from Cornyn. But we shall see what we shall see.

13 Likes

If there is no change that Democrats can make in order to win Republican support on an issue as important as democracy,

The false assumption that is the fatal flaw. Democracy can only arise from tax cuts that free the people from the bonds of a tyrannical government, and tax cuts are dependent on voter suppression laws that assure GOP control of Congress. Ergo, the For the People Act is an unamerican, unconstitutional death sentence for the GOP.

10 Likes

The truth is, this will be reduced to silly complaining and navel gazing from liberal minded people until someone can confront Fox, Breitbart, OAN and Newsmax with appropriate lawsuits that successfully frame them as yelling fire in a crowded theater.

5 Likes

That would be the fundamentally different bill that Ted might support…

…and sauerkraut?

3 Likes
16 Likes

My concern is that S1, even if passed via abolishing the filibuster, would be eventually struck down by the Gang of Six on the Supreme Court. Democrats should still pass it anyway, but GOP judicial picks are generally not fans of protecting voter rights, sad to say.

8 Likes

And it worked! Lovely.

1 Like