Manchin Throws Support Behind Interior Secretary Nominee After Tanden Opposition | Talking Points Memo

Sen. Joe Manchin (D-WV) on Wednesday announced his support of Rep. Deb Haaland (D-NM) to lead the Interior Department under the Biden administration. Manchin’s support for Haaland likely secures her confirmation as the first Native American to hold a Cabinet position.

This is a companion discussion topic for the original entry at https://talkingpointsmemo.com/?p=1361908

Her “strong commitment to bipartisanship”, eh? Why is it that only Democrats need to commit to being “bipartisan”? I want to see Republicans give some, too.

11 Likes

None of Manchin’s Republican heroes have ever made a strong commitment to bipartisanship. He never asked them to, either.

11 Likes

To heck with “bipartisanship”. The right word is NONPARTISAN.

7 Likes

That’s it, Joe! I think he’s got it! By George, he’s got it!

1 Like

A minimum wage increase goes before the Senate parliamentarian on Wednesday to find out if it passes muster for inclusion in the COVID-19 relief package being passed under budget reconciliation. Democrats feel good that a recent Congressional Budget Office analysis shows the measure has enough budget impact for reconciliation, allowing it to be passed by a simple majority vote. But even if the parliamentarian agrees, the plan for a $15 minimum wage in 2025 is in deep peril thanks to Democratic Sens. Joe Manchin and Kyrsten Sinema. So now the rush is on for senators to float proposals trying to make themselves look like heroes of the low-wage worker without, you know, supporting anything like an actual living wage.

3 Likes

Will there be a Democratic primary for Manchin’s seat when he’s up for re-election? It looks like that’s 2024. After four years of Trump I know how to bide my time, hold a grudge, and donate to other Democrats.

1 Like

Wouldn’t West Virginia voters benefit from a boost in the minimum wage, Joe?

7 Likes

Joe Manchin will be 77 years old in November 2024.

2 Likes

They surely would, however Manchin’s personal friends and financial supporters probably aren’t thrilled with the idea.

2 Likes

Isn’t funny how the concept of a minimum wage which was designed to be a living wage is now only a wage for teenagers, those in “lowly jobs”?
I realize that in the late 80s I wasn’t living in a big city, middle of MO, I had manager position but it was enough for me to rent an apt on my own, payback my student loan-early, and fed myself. I was taking home $495.00 every two weeks.
Now for a comparison I can tell tell you that in 1958 my father a college graduate with an engineering degree was working at Carter Carburetor and was bring home $220.15 every two weeks, and in 1961 the went to $282.61
Now I realize that those are examples of salaries and not minimum wage, but I was working FT non manager for $4.13 an hour in 1985.

4 Likes

Good point. So who’s going to replace him? I know nothing about WV politics. And where do I send the money now? No sense waiting to get the ball rolling.

I believe that WV is a unique situation. The current Gov. last name Justice is R, but he had been a D. Manchin gets a pass for being a Dem because of his family longevity. And because what other industry is there in WV beside coal?

2 Likes

Meth?

1 Like

I thought meth was replaced with oxycontin?

Manchin (D-WV) on Wednesday announced his support of Rep. Deb Haaland (D-NM) to lead the Interior Department

I guess her tweets were OK.

2 Likes

A Republican.

4 Likes

“Bipartisan.”. Look, I would like to thnk that working with those with whom you disagree was a good thing, but you can’t be bipartisan with evil. It’s like being “half cannibal.”

5 Likes

Hmmm…

3 Likes

How “close” is he?

She’s a slimebucket. Family values. :angry:

3 Likes