Manchin’s Proposed Changes To The John Lewis Voting Rights Act Would Gut The Bill

It’s already happened, more or less, because of corporate money. Corporate dough is apparently more effective than the votes of the general population in determining the votes of virtually all Republicans and some shit-brained Democrats like Sinema and Manchin.

Giving corporations an actual vote will be a formality, although I"m sure they’ll want to assign multiple votes to each corporation, in the manner of HL Hunt’s dystopian vision of assigning votes by wealth.

But you opened the door to an interesting point:

At what point will The GOP drop all pretense and simply disenfranchise people explicitly based on membership of a certain race or political party? The current Supreme Court could find a way to rule favorably on it, based on their track record to date.

7 Likes

The 41% Rule. The Majority Ruling Party, holding 41% of the votes, seems somewhat flawed to me. Why bother learning about fractions, if this is how it works in real life? Seems like a game of Cheaters Win, Winners Lose.

5 Likes

The only problem with either piece of legislation is that it doesn’t address what Republican state legislatures are trying to do-grab the power of determining the winner by changing, or putting limitations on who counts the votes.
I’m not blaming the writers of these pieces of legislation, but he who counts the votes hold the power.

5 Likes

“Pay to the order of: Manchin Campaign Fund
One Million Two Hundred Thousand Dollars”

3 Likes

Someone posted the other day, elsewhere, that every screenshot coming from Faux News on the various things in the social strata, e.g., cancel culture. critical race theory and all the rest of it, ends with 'Be Afraid!!!'

Fear is the most potent weapon the Right has and they wield it well.

7 Likes

I still don’t know how Joe Manchin ever goes to the grocery store without coming back with a bag of magic beans.

Charles P. Pierce. Jun 18, 2021

17 Likes

This reminded me of the reasoning of the so-called ‘tort-reform’ movement, which, as best I could tell, was really about limiting the exposure of the monied for corporate malfeasance. (ed.)

14 Likes

Not yet, anyway. Honestly, this could go either way. Biden’s first 100 days history needs to include this enfranchisement movement. If either one of these bills is not passed, I don’t know if Biden can be judged a success over and above his handling of the COVID. Infrastructure is languishing too. Things need to get done and the Dems (via Sinema and Manchin) are losing valuable time. 2022 could disappoint Dems in re-taking a better majority because we’re demonstrating, through this nonsense, that we really can’t get things done. And the voters aren’t going to accept GQP obstruction as an excuse.

This could get very bad - at least a 50/50 chance.

5 Likes

They will get to votes equal to 3/5 of their employees.

8 Likes

Not only checks, but mostly political pressure by Koch Industries funded groups. He needs to feel some pressure from his Democratic constituents. Not waiting for that to happen though.

4 Likes

but he acts as if he believes the red-state excuses and justifications.

The 5 largest ethnic groups in West Virginia are White (Non-Hispanic) (92%), Black or African American (Non-Hispanic) (3.77%), Two+ (Non-Hispanic) (1.76%), White (Hispanic) (0.997%), and Asian (Non-Hispanic) (0.737%).

West Virginia | Data USA%20(0.737%25).)

It’s very easy to ignore something that simply isn’t a problem in his constituency. When only about 8% of the State is non-WASP, I doubt there’s any issue at all where he’s from.

6 Likes

“It’s Abraham’s fault”

Naaah…I blame Malkezadek.

2 Likes

Yes, and the would’ve been DIxiecrats now wearing the reactionary label also jump to point out that it was southern Democrats who supported secession and Jim Crow. The Democrat Party, as they say.

2 Likes

There’s not a dime’s worth of difference between a cult and a religion.

8 Likes

And the state went close to 70 percent for Trump.

4 Likes

OT:

24 Likes

Delta may foil those giant strides he’s made:

Sure, it’s not much deadlier. but it spreads faster. The UK has experienced spiking Delta cases for these past couple weeks, but still averaged a very low daily death rate. Most of the month it’s been in single digits. Republicans will find a way to blame Biden for the Delta variant’s spread.
2 Likes

Actually you do have to be a racist to vote like one. Supporting racism to obtain favor with moneyed interests is the lowest and most cynical form of racism.

6 Likes

Oh, no!!! How sad!!!

5 Likes

All “Part of the Plan”.

2 Likes