Look What They Did To My Boy

Originally published at: Look What They Did To My Boy - TPM – Talking Points Memo

Harris Executes An Impossible Feat Near-Perfectly Hello, it’s the weekend. This is The Weekender :coffee: Two months ago, President Joe Biden turned in the most disastrous debate performance in American political history. One month ago, he dropped out of the race, quickly tapping his vice president to take his place. A day or two later,…

2 Likes

Now that the confetti and balloons are being swept up into the dustbin of history, it will be interesting to see how the Dems sustain this momentum. No doubt it will wane a bit. No doubt the opposition will come up with a multitude of verifiable lies and half-truths that will get maximum coverage to the exclusion of fact checking.

So far, I am heartened by the lack of huge missteps so far on the part of the Dems. Sustaining this will be paramount for the next 2-1/2 months.

The country cannot afford any wavering from this path. The Dems need a sweep of the Presidency and as much of Congress as possible to prevent the loss of the Republic.

82 Likes

Mike Lindell has finally lost it. (His mustache, that is.)
Until it’s all his money and freedom don’t bother us with stories like this.

Of course my favorite part was the unmasking of DonOLD Trump’s rabid racism, not that it was that well hidden.

19 Likes

I love the “where’s Hunter” question. He was on the stage with the rest of the Bidens after Joe’s speech. There has been no reason to show him since then.

What a loser. ( referring to TFG)

70 Likes

In Georgia and saw a pro-Trump mailer that emphasized vigorously that Trump has rejected Project 2025 and has nothing to do with it.

Guess the Harris campaign knows how bad Project 2025 hurts!

58 Likes

I know we love to bag on the NYT (frequently with good reason). But I did enjoy seeing this morning’s top story.

46 Likes

The Dems momentum with Harris at the top may best be proven by the number of volunteers who have come on board since her entry. Volunteer numbers are leading indicators of a movement’s potency.

Trump, in his infinite wisdom, scrapped the Republican’s get-out-the vote effort so that he wouldn’t have to spend money putting potential volunteers into the field and work to get him elected.

Republican elected officials must be tossing and turning all night long.

48 Likes

Borowitz summing up my view

63 Likes

He’s lying. He has already used parts of P25 in his talks. You won’t have to vote again for example.

42 Likes

I am sure Donald Trump is as honest as the SCOTUS justices he nominated that all said or implied in hearings that Roe was settled law.

40 Likes

Waiting for Trump to blow is top today, who’s got the final Nielsen ratings for Thursdays big speech?

*Ok, just found it, 28.9 million for Kamala’s speech, I believe that’s a bit 🫸………🫷

37 Likes

Pobrecito J.D.

31 Likes

Mind you, that would be a doll-house sized pillow.

18 Likes

So, no pivot then?

And “calls by his advisors to focus on the issues”? LOL
Dimes to dollars that’s what he thinks he’s doing. And he’s the smartest guy in the room (smartest guy EVAH!).

Of course, the truth (heh) is that he has no real understanding of any actual issue, so whataya gonna do…he is incapable of behaving in any other way.

Although, I would be curious to know what ‘his advisors’ think the actual issues are…
Oh yeah, that’s all in that Project 2025 book!

41 Likes

breading distrust into the election system.

This is not a half-baked notion of the crusty old men who define the GOP. The principle that voting rights should be the exclusive province of the Wonder Bread* population is deeply rooted in the Nation’s history and traditions. There is no room for rye, whole wheat, or other abominations.

* MAGA sourdough is a permissible variation on the theme

33 Likes

Do you have a sense of what attendance was like at that rally? The pictures I’ve seen are tight on Trump and RFK Jr., so it’s hard to tell how many people were there in person.

30 Likes

No. All I noted from watching the clips was that the audience was like :expressionless:

26 Likes

Yup. The lack of field offices and GOTV efforts hurts down-ballot candidates, too–and in close Congress and Senate (and state) races, Trump’s not doing “his” party any favors that way.

38 Likes

John Rogers

‪@johnrogers.bsky.social‬

Your regular reminder that the Electoral College was not designed to do what you think it does, and it does neither what it was designed to do nor what you think it does. It is a game-able, democracy distorting appendix and there is no legitimate defense of it.

‪Kevin Elliott‬ ‪@kjephd.bsky.social‬

·

2d

I’ve said it before, & I’ll say it again: the Electoral College does not advantage small states, it advantages closely divided states. The ten smallest states are all basically uncompetitive, while the swing states in 2024 include 4 of the 10 most populous. Only NV is even in the bottom half.

Aug 21, 2024 at 10:59 AM

40 Likes

The Democratic Party can be characterized as solid at the core while loose around the edges, a good thing, and a worthy testimony to its diversity, appeal, and endurance. What it has achieved since Joe Biden dropped his bid is nothing short of amazing and awe inspiring. The DNC convention was so well planned, choreographed, and executed in every way. The speeches were great and on message. Forward! Hope! Freedom! Continue the MOJO!

56 Likes