Local Officials On Schools Reopening | Talking Points Memo

“… told me in school I wasn’t working up to my potential…”

Hmm, now where have I heard that before?

2 Likes

I believe that – genuinely shocked at what they have wrought. They allowed the conditions that caused the infections and deaths and griefs of the victims’ families.
FL governor too, but he’s going to brazen it out.

3 Likes

Memo to parents: If the state is trying to take away your right to sue, be sure to keep your kids at home. You’ll be glad you did.

5 Likes

It certainly looks that way. She’s following the Trump lead on asking schools to resume for the sake of the economy. But it doesn’t work that way, as killing kids and teachers to improve the economy is, on the face of it, a really bad idea. Besides acting to please Trump, though, she’s pushing her many attempts to get state support for religious schools, as a result of which public schools could fail. And she could care less.

1 Like

Where’s Barron’s? #WheresBarron

1 Like

US new case rate needs to fall by about 98% to create safe conditions for school return. This may take a while given the persistently high number of uninformed individuals six months into this crisis. Apparently, there are groups of individuals who have acquired herd immunity to science.

3 Likes

Once a Benadick means always Beingadick.

And I know everyone is appalled but of course the cult wants the kids to drink the cyanide laced purple Kool-Aid too, because a cult has to cult.

So can we stop calling Republicans radicals and start calling them a cult now?

What???! The press has never bothered to point out that these GOP loons are super-radical-democracy-destroying-SOBs?

Now I see our problem.

2 Likes

I am curious how anyone can teach while wearing a N95 mask. Voice muffling not important? Makes one conclude this is about babysitting, not educating.

2 Likes

Hi! To find out what I can do, say @discobot display help.

Most states in the South forbid teachers unions. And sick leave is hard to accrue.

Did I read somewhere that Ivanka is going across the country meeting with teachers and parents as a symbolic gesture of this administration’s priority for safe and timely school openings?

No, I’m sure I didn’t.

2 Likes

Thanks for the tip.

1 Like

It was not the primary reason I decided not to return to the classroom this fall, but a big concern for me was my hearing, which sadly is not what it used to be. I don’t need hearing aids for normal conversation but wear them in the classroom. They didn’t help that much with mumbling, high-pitched middle school voices. I would be able to use our classroom voice enhancement system to be heard, but I felt like kids in masks would be very challenging for me to understand.

1 Like

The madness has to stop. Parents/teachers will have to protest. The GOP/WH is going to take this to the grassroots level and get a GOP county to open schools and use that to pressure other districts to open. This has to be about public health, period. I think there should be BLM level protests on this matter. Fight to protect children. Don’t recklessly throw them and the teachers, staff, families into peril to fulfill some arbitrary timeline to create an illusion of ‘normalcy’ when things aren’t normal.

9 Likes

“Allow me to be as explicitly clear and unambiguous as possible when I say, ‘Fuck that guy’”

3 Likes

You failed to specify the size and composition of the stick.

Extra Bwana.

1 Like

It’s a whole lot more than that:

It’s not just teachers and staff. It’s cafeteria workers, it’s aids, it’s school bus drivers. Low paying jobs, mostly without benefits, for whom exposure would be potentially lethal, if not physically, then certainly financially.

To wit, my college roommate’s husband spent two weeks in the hospital in March for the CV. He’s survived, but his medical expenses came close to a quarter of a million dollars. His insurance picked up all but $ 2,000.

What happens with someone with no insurance in the face of a bill like that?

5 Likes

Parents, teachers, school employees all know that schools are perfect petri dishesto begin with and will be far, far worse with covid. This is Kafkaesque surreality.

3 Likes

An anti-vaxxer?

3 Likes
Comments are now Members-Only
Join the discussion Free options available