LIVEBLOG: The Nevada Democratic Debate | Talking Points Memo

You say this like it is…bad?

2 Likes

Roundabouts. I’ve learned to love them!

4 Likes

Ads – for politicians, automobiles, laundry detergent – are not reality.

“The Bloomberg we’re seeing in the ads” is … not real.

As you obviously know all this, I guess I’m missing your point.

(I presume you’re not saying that you somehow fell for Bloomberg’s ads and have now had your illusions destroyed by his debate performance.)

1 Like

BlockquoteThe people Bloomberg’s supporters fear should be Trump, and he came off like a soggy milquetoast Dem tonight who won’t be able to handle Trump.

He came strong on the two points he needed to come strong on: he didn’t apologize for being rich, and Bernie’s plan to mandate parts of companies be given to workers would ludicrous, disastrous and ensure Trump’s reelection. For the people he’s trying to sway – the upper middle class who just don’t want to vote for Trump again – that’s a good message. it’s not one that progressives or hard-core Dems like, but it’s a message that could resonate when you talk about electability.

If all goes as planned, a thoroughly revamped and unrecognizable version of Bloomberg, called New Mike ™, will be up and running in time for Super Tuesday.

But even as they announced the impending launch of Bloomberg’s new incarnation, campaign officials were careful to tamp down expectations. “In a perfect world, spending ten billion dollars on a new personality would make Mike an appealing person, but we’ll be happy with ‘not an asshole,’ ” one aide said.

4 Likes

Round-da-bouts are a great example for describing statistical distributions.
When inserted into traffic flow, the MIN travel time goes up (reduced speeding) and the MAX time goes down (no long lights) and the fun part is that the MEAN travel time goes down !
plotting the changed distribution is an exercise left for the reader

1 Like

Don’t get my hopes up…

2028, realistically. If the country survives until then.

2 Likes

1 Like

Nobody told me there would be math on this thread.

3 Likes

And maybe when Perez gives up the ghost on his disaster of leadership of the party, maybe then we can have nice things and put Pete in charge. I wouldn’t have a problem with that.

Hell, my cat would do a better job at this than Perez has done.

Summary statement - Pete may not be the nominee, but I think he’d be a whole lot better running the DNC.

1 Like

This is the mark of a campaign with a whole lot of money, in my mind. The others don’t have the resources to put that kind of network together for door to door canvassers in February.

At most half of us are.

1 Like

It’s already an uphill battle for a woman. HRC had 30 yrs of vilification, and SO MUCH “I just can’t vote for her” baked into the Gen Pop. Warren only has the ‘woman’ factor…so yes, I think she would have done better. Plus, HRC ran a very quiet campaing, expecting Chump would implode, watched the polls, and had a very complacent team of well-heeled advisors and campaign apparatus. I am guessing Warren doesn’t have all that infrastructure at her beck-and-call…but will have more ardent staff and more fire in the belly.

I see her as the best candidate with the best ideas, plans, energy, track record of making things happen, and far-left plus centrist gravity. Could be acceptable to Bernie supporters where others would not. I also think she can handle herself against Chump (face to face) and I am not certain any of the others can.

She does have the built in drag of being a woman. I wish that was the opposite, that she could get overwhelming women votes and energy and be unstoppable…but in America it is more like a 5%+ drag instead. Like to be proven wrong. I really hope she can get back into this delegate hunt, because I believe everyone else has fatal flaws/constituencies.

6 Likes

In the town the farm is located in, we had an intersection that was known as ‘Salem Four Corners’.

A couple of years ago, they put a traffic circle, roundabout, rotary, in that intersection. That intersection is now known as ‘Salem No-Corners’.

4 Likes

After the shellacking Mike got last night, I just hope he still plans to contribute the $1 billion to DEM down ballot races. Gaining the Senate and holding the House is every bit as important as winning the White House, if not more.

2 Likes

:raised_hands::raised_hands::raised_hands:

1 Like

We should all be taking those necessary actions. Registration efforts first, voting efforts second. Can’t have the second without the first.

3 Likes

I donated again last night, and she’s been my #1 this entire cycle to date. I’m not sure that I’m going to vote for her in the primary, though. I really think she needed to do a lot better in IA & NH for her campaign to have a real chance at the nomination. I’m still holding my ballot, and I’ve been planning on waiting through this weekend before I fill it out and walk the puppy and I up to the library to turn it in.

3 Likes

“The Senator standing next to me”

:laughing:

2 Likes

Just don’t ask him to name the president of Mexico.

3 Likes
Comments are now Members-Only
Join the discussion Free options available