‘Like A Coward’: Officer Who Risked His Life On Jan. 6 Describes Snub From GOP Rep | Talking Points Memo

I’d just like to point out that the guy in the middle w/o face mask is Rep. Clyde helping to block and entrance into the chamber.
His official pix

I know ya’ll get tired if me asking this question but why hasn’t a reporter called out these Reps for their white washing/ gas lighting of 01/06/21? If this was no big deal then why didn’t these Senators or Representatives go out and greet their people?

10 Likes

Is it just me, or have the GOP abandoned all pretenses that they are decent people? This week they seem especially foul. I realize that modern politicians have to be careful about being photographed with people who might make them look bad, but up until now it was more likely to be the local slumlord or organized crime boss that you needed to avoid. I’m guessing that he would be fine with them. It’s only police officers who don’t have the grace to pretend that they were not almost murdered by TFG’s mob that you have to avoid. Imagine the constituent who would say “well, if he’s going to shake that guy’s hand, I’m not voting for him.” (He’s probably trying to avoid having a pic that can be captioned “Although Rep Clyde pretends to be a supporter of President Trump, he is sympathetic to people who are characterizing the January 6th picnic and rally as an insurrection.”)

6 Likes

Brave Sir Clyde ran away.
Bravely ran away away.
When danger reared it’s ugly head,
He bravely turned his tail and fled.
Yes, brave Sir Clyde turned about
And gallantly he chickened out.
Swiftly taking to his feet,
He beat a very brave retreat.
Bravest of the brave, Sir Clyde!

7 Likes

He’s not ‘like a coward’…he IS a coward. He’s a bully boy jerk that spews and screams and berates and wields his power like a club and when CONFRONTED about it, he runs or whips out his phone to INSIST DAMMIT that HE is the ‘victim’. We have several of these in our current Congress. They are truly a waste-of-space.

7 Likes

Wait until Gosar claims that Fanone was lying in wait, ready to ambush Clyde.

8 Likes

The GOP have seen, time and time again, that their voters will accept ANYTHING in the ways of bad behavior. There isn’t anything (except some certain bedroom behaviors, but even trafficking minors as long as it is heterosexual is OK) that can get them in trouble with the voters. Just like Chump, they are getting high huffing the fumes from that promise…they have my back. The people who actually can make me/break me have given me carte blanche, and cheer the worse I get…so let us crank it up to 11 !!!

7 Likes

TPM: We need Fenone t-shirts (great father’s day gift idea). Make a design contest, Summer!

1 Like

Just for inspiration. TPM version

The image and quote alone… “magaterrorists” on the shirt will shut eyes and ears of the people who need opening imho, of course. Even if it is true.

4 Likes

Probably reminded the Congressman of some of his other embittered constituents…

So you’re saying that the Republicans are behaving better than they usually do?

7 Likes

:laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

1 Like

Fun facts to know and tell:

Fanone was a Trump voter.

8 Likes

I believe Sicknick was too.

4 Likes

He should have led with that when talking to Clyde.

4 Likes

Not sure it would have mattered much. The GOP pols know in their bones that riot was the final disastrous indictment of the Trump presidency. It was his sick id exploding in rage against the government if its proper workings frustrated his desires. So the four years of coddling that disordered mind finally came back to bite them because as Rick Wilson repeatedly warned them, Everything Trump Touches Dies. They’re all either denying it was that bad or denying it was their fault, and since Clyde is in the not-so-bad camp obviously then nothing unpleasant happened to Fanone and there’s no reason to talk to him or shake his hand.

3 Likes

Does not kiss babies either…

1 Like

That’s a helluva way to treat tourists.

3 Likes

Clyde has compared the Jan 6 riot to a “normal tourist visit.”

Other highlights of his career:

1. Graduated from an evangelical college in Indiana.
  2. Was an officer in the Navy for 28 years, including 3 combat deployments to Afghanistan and Iraq, where one of his assignments was taking down statues of Saddam.
  3. Opened a gun dealership in Athens, Georgia.
  4. Got in trouble with the IRS for structuring bank deposits.
  5. Sued Athens, GA, for its covid restrictions.
  6. Ran for Congress on a platform of “limiting government.” Assumed office on Jan 3, 2021, three days before he helped barricade the House chamber against the “normal tourists.”
6 Likes

Toppling statues is cushy duty.

3 Likes
Comments are now Members-Only
Join the discussion Free options available