Legislative Staff Debugs Climate Plan As Manchin Threatens Its Existence

Bribery is over rated. Deprivation also works. Is that too repug? It’s not like they’re paying their weight.

Well like I said these factories were in smallish towns away from major, ok major for MO. I sure that there were other smaller manufacturing plants scattered throughout the Midwest.
My dad worked for Holley Carburetors in the late 70s and was going to parts suppliers in TN, OK, and states farther south. All those up and left after the 80s to Mexico and Asia.

2 Likes

And then the mining companies abandon the sites, which when rain is added, become putrefied dung heaps that pollute nearby streams and rivers.

5 Likes

How many times will we hafta put up with the Manchin-Sinema BS?

2 Likes

Which would reduce the dems by 1 vote, meaning a 49-50 loss.

It’s probably better that he is the chair, just means the proposal has to get his stamp of approval earlier in the process. He has to be willing to vote for it, or it doesn’t pass.

I truly don’t know what he is going to do. But I remember all the fuss about him reducing unemployment benefits by a month. He redirected most of that money to rural hospital grants, a hospital chain is his states largest employer. Not bad policy either during a pandemic.

1 Like

You know, Joe “I Wanna” Mansion has a term that runs until 2025 and he’s rich and set for life. It seems to me that if he had good intentions, he would pitch in and save the republic right now and let the chips fall where they may if he decides to run again. That he does otherwise leaves me little room to think well of him or expect he’ll come around in the end unless he decides it will benefit him directly.

3 Likes

I just sent Senator Manchin a respectful note and a link to Dr. Wally Broecker’s last book - “CO2 - Earth’s Climate Driver”. It is a sobering assessment of how violent and unfriendly to human life the Earth’s climate has been for most of the past. I told him the Holocene is tenuous and fragile and our anthropogenic CO2 emissions are tickling a dragon. I hope he reads it - we need his vote and his help.

For those who are interested in how violent the Earth’s climate can become, here you go: https://pubs.geoscienceworld.org/perspectives/article-abstract/7/2/117/567159/CO2-Earth-s-Climate-Driver

So, while I know what you’re going for, lemme translate that into West Virginian for you…

Maybe a bunch’a stuck up elitist pricks should come into our home, stick their noses in our damned business, talk down to us and generally treat us like we’re stupid. Tell you what. How 'bout if you’ve all got the free time to come here and lecture us like you’re the self-appointed judges of all that’s right and true, you all go get a goddamned job and leave us alone. We don’t come out there to your commie hellhole and tell you how to be two-faced assholes, smiling and acting like your fucking money gives you the right to pass judgment on people. So kindly stay the hell outta our business and our lives.

Because yeah, they’ll turn down an injection of cash. They’ll see it as condescension and trying to buy them off. And they’ll be right. You want to send people from outside of WV in to ‘explain the realities of the situation’ to the people who live there, but you don’t think that’s already demeaning? You think they don’t already know the realities of the situation?

3 Likes

No mercy. Bring out the bagpipes, and use them upon Manchin.

1 Like

I worked as an official or a journalist at NY/PA auto racetracks whose top classes (dirt big-block Modifieds, asphalt Modifieds) used 750cfm and 780cfm Holleys for years. NASCAR Modifieds changed to the 390 in the Eighties, maybe with the start of the Modified Tour in 1985.

1 Like

Good article. Thanks for pointing out the current flaws with the current proposed bill, flaws that would just allow more gaming of Federal money. Hopefully, they’ll work it out now rather than punt things down the road long enough for the energy companies to steal Federal monies.

I know, but bitching and complaining and putting them down in places like this doesn’t do much either. Somehow we gotta start talking to each other, not at. And offer up reasonable solutions, not condescension but real solutions, and that’s the talk I’m looking at. And people have got to stop with this ridiculous bullshit conspiracy microchip sterility vaccine shit.

And I’m not so sure they do know the realities of the situation. If Manchin succeeds in fucking this all up and we lose Congress, we are well and truly screwed and a lot of people are going to die. And the tender sensibilities of West Virginians won’t matter squat in the re-education camps.

Jeffrey: “Mom, I don’t like my friend Johnny”.
Mom: “So just eat your veggies”.

2 Likes

I used to believe this. It does not work. Those folks know what they know, by cracky, and don’t try to change their minds. Sooner convert Catholics to Muslims or Muslims to Lutherans.

300px-DeadParrot

1 Like

And that’s something that has to happen small-scale, built on existing relationships. Send in an ‘invasion’ and you won’t get it.

They won’t. They don’t believe this stuff because it’s realistic, they believe this stuff because it lets them feel better about ‘fuck the libs’.

They want us to lose Congress. They don’t elect Joe Manchin because ‘gosh darnit, I love me some Democrats’, they elect him because he delivers for what they already want. What he’s doing right now? A feature, not a bug.

What makes you think they’ll be the folks in the camps?

Don’t you think it is time to retrocede West Virginia back to Virginia? Do we really need “West Virginians” walking around the Capitol like they was folks?

You want another war? That might start one.

So, he stopped the endless fighting, with minimal losses, and the country now has Trillions more in its budget to spend on things we need?

Good On Yah, Mate!

2 Likes

Next maybe Joe Biden should make coal/oil/gas mining into “America’s energy Afghanistan”!
Save thousands of lives directly, help tens of millions more by reducing pollution, and free up billions from fossil-energy subsidies to spend on things we need.

Comments are now Members-Only
Join the discussion Free options available