Lawmakers Reach Deal On Fed Dispute, Clearing Way For COVID Relief Package | Talking Points Memo

WASHINGTON (AP) — Top congressional lawmakers struck a late-night agreement on the last major obstacle to a COVID-19 economic relief package costing nearly $1 trillion, clearing the way for votes as early as Sunday.

This is a companion discussion topic for the original entry at https://talkingpointsmemo.com/?p=1350265

Repeal the provisions for the Wall on January 22, 2021, please.

22 Likes

$600 is such an insult but it’s better than nothing.

22 Likes

But will Trump be able to sign the checks? That’s literally the only question he’ll have.

25 Likes

Fat cat pay day again I expect …among other foolish moves.

8 Likes

Bet this whole thing would not have happened if there wasn’t a government shutdown looming. They’ve had months and months to do this, but the sicko Rethugs had no interest in helping jobless, moneyless, on the street regular people with Covid out of control.
The Rethugs can all go lemming style off a cliff (which they really don’t do) as far as I’m concerned.

33 Likes

Why not on 1/21/21?
The trump wall builders are using explosives on lands, private property and sacred native ground, along the border without any prior approval.

25 Likes

I hope there aren’t any poison pills hiding in all that text. No one could read the whole thing in the time left for passage.

13 Likes

The compromise, aides said, preserved Toomey’s goal but retained the Fed’s existing powers to restart similar facilities in the future.

I guess I am a little confused… Toomey’s goal was to PREVENT the Fed’s existing powers to restart these loans. SO, who CAVED?

6 Likes

$600 direct payments for individuals who owe $4K or $5K in back rent and are about to be evicted?

Gigantic empty gesture that means little to nothing for most Americans.

39 Likes

Toomey has a stubborn streak…

Uh, no: he’s a tool easily setup by the scumbag Senate majority leader to keep his own hands clean for other things, namely the GA race. I continue to remain on this side of stupefied that TPM treats any Republican as anything other than depraved crooks.

Oooooh, and 600 whole dollars? My advice would be to prepare to use it for the tax bill coming due starting in January for the rich guys tax cut Were it that Dems could market that message so as to deflect the now inevitable “Joe Biden raised your taxes!” right-wing line, but noooo…

33 Likes

This package is mediocre at best. The stimulus payment of $600 is tiny. That said, the bill also has essential funds for vaccine distribution, and that’s key to getting back to normal.

What this legislation also shows is that once Biden is president Moscow Mitch and his GOP lackeys plan to block everything. And by that I mean everything. We all see it coming. I hope Biden does and plans accordingly.

44 Likes

I guess in the spirit of “I don’t want anyone to get anything that I don’t personally get, whether or not I actually need it” they had to go for the pittance.

5 Likes

I am glad to see this, but we cannot forget all of the patronage and shady quick deals that came out of the first relief package. The Arizona Republic just published a very long and good piece of journalism exposing how the charter schools in AZ were given millions they didn’t need that were passed on to rich owners, etc, while small business owners got crushed in the thousands. Ducey won’t even talk about it.

https://www.azcentral.com/story/news/local/arizona-investigations/2020/12/19/arizona-charter-school-primavera-gets-ppp-loan-gives-10-million-investor/3878722001/

30 Likes

Ah, you have caught on how media outlets always represent Republicans, even this one: they’re shrewd, tough or “stubborn” negotiators, while Dems invariably have caved. (Because everything is a zero-sum game for our Media Glitterati, you understand.)

21 Likes

Remember, when he wanted to sign the first stimulus checks it took several EXTRA weeks to get that figured out by Treasury. He won’t be president long enough to sign these checks if Treasury can’t get their act together.

12 Likes

Yep, and that’s why a couple extra Dems from Georgia would be ever so helpful otherwise it’s going to be grim.

35 Likes

Yes indeed, grim. Team Biden better get real creative with EO’s these next two years.

24 Likes

Granny has a lot more good ones this week
https://yellowdoggrannie.blogspot.com/2020/12/i-hope-these-arent-repeats.html?m=1

29 Likes

I think these powers have been available for a long time so terminating them at the end of the year already constitutes sabotage, particularly since it forces the Dems to get it restarted in the event of an emergency over Republican intransigence. Prohibiting future reactivation would have permanently tied the hands of future administrations - definitely a bigger problem (we used this great tool to fix a problem but we’re going to prevent you from doing the same.) So both sides gave a bit, but as usual, the Dems gave more.

7 Likes
Comments are now Members-Only
Join the discussion Free options available