Kinzinger Says Some GOPers Are Trying To Score ‘Political Points’ With Milley Uproar | Talking Points Memo

On Thursday, Rep. Adam Kinzinger (R-IL), an Air Force veteran, took aim at his fellow Republicans who’ve demanded Joint Chiefs of Staff chair Gen. Mark Milley’s ouster over his efforts to keep then-President Trump from dragging the U.S. into war with China.

This is a companion discussion topic for the original entry at https://talkingpointsmemo.com/?p=1387636

Thank you, Captain Obvious.

22 Likes

19 Likes

A persons morals should never prevent them from doing what is right but they also should be prepared for the consequences.

Miley may very well have been right for inserting himself in any nuclear attack order by an outgoing president including his discussions with China. But regardless if it saved the world or even just American democracy, his actions could be such a breach of norms, procedures and laws that he needs to face consequences.

1 Like

I’m having a hard time grasping the fact that sometimes Republican lawmakers like Kinzinger and Cheney can sound like perfectly reasonable people. IOW, they don’t sound like Republicans at all because they use reason when they speak. Hearing any Republican speak like that is so unusual that it makes my head spin. In a good way.

11 Likes

“Some”? How about all but you?

5 Likes

Possibly an inquiry where the Republicans will act in good faith without grandstanding for Fox and try to understand the facts?

Not happening.

11 Likes

It Could Happen

1 Like

Well here’s an saying that we can adapt:
If the facts are on your side, pound the facts. If the law is on your side, pound the law. If neither is on your side, pound the table.”
To:
If you don’t know the facts, express outrage on the earliest ideological radio show your press person can book, If you don’t know if a law(s) been broken, hit the subject on Twitter, if neither facts or law is on your side, go on Fox News.

7 Likes

You’re asking for no norm breaking when the whole of Trump’s campaign and reign of terror was norm breaking? The man could break 3 norms before precedent could swing its legs over the bedside and place them on the floor.

9 Likes

Don’t bet your sweet bippy on it.

2 Likes

I’m waiting for Kizinger and others to bring up the fact that it requires 2/3 of the Senate to declare war. POTUS can’t just launch nukes without that, unless there’s an attack or an equivalent provocation. It wouldn’t be constitutional.

6 Likes

OT-Kobach Krushed…

19 Likes

Read this. This guy is one of the best for this kind of analysis.

17 Likes

I’m puzzled by this story, and how pretty much everyone is framing it. It appears that everyone around TFG though he might be getting ready to throw nukes around, and all we can talk about is whether we have to punish the guy who stopped him? How about we talk about the guy who was about to throw nukes around because he’s a psychotic sociopath! How about we name the enablers who knew and didn’t do anything to stop him!?!

I swear this country has gone completely off the rails…

17 Likes

thanks. so it’s another delusional storm in an illusional teacup.

4 Likes

And why the hell we didn’t nuke Tehran and Pyongyang while we had the right leadership in place to make it happen. Shameful.

5 Likes

Some GOPers are trying to score ‘political points’ with Milley uproar

Ya think?

The entire issue is nothing but feigned “outrage” based on Woodward ephemera (trying to sell a book) and spin on said ephemera that’s already been debunked.

3 Likes

Yes, it’s obvious, but in D.C. you often end up saying obvious stuff out loud so it gets broadcast to the public and you’re on the record as feeling that way.

Now, if you’d like something with a bit more cayenne to it, here’s Jen:

“I don’t think the president is looking for the guidance of members of Congress who stood by while the … president of the United States and the leader of their party fomented an insurrection and many of them were silent.”

It’s obvious too but kapow.

21 Likes

WHEN do they NOT try to ‘score political points’??? The usual suspects are out there screaming ‘TREASON’ and ‘if he did it to BIDEN’ and flourishing guns and various other props. Morons. Whiners. Snivelers.

1 Like
Comments are now Members-Only
Join the discussion Free options available