Just How Much Of The PRO Act Can Democrats Squeeze Into Reconciliation? | Talking Points Memo

The PRO Act will be included in the massive reconciliation bill currently under consideration by Senate Democrats.

This is a companion discussion topic for the original entry at https://talkingpointsmemo.com/?p=1381953
1 Like

7 Likes

The unfortunate fact is that the 20th century labor union is as obsolete as the 20fh century industrial model. We need to find a new solution, perhaps a system in which all employees (or independent contractors) in an industry belong to a single union that negotiates minimum standards for all employers in that sector.

(Full disclosure - I am a union member and proud of being a part of the movement that gave us the weekend.)

10 Likes

Just a general comment to signal my appreciation for the discussions of policy (and how politics and procedure affect them) here on TPM of late. It reminds me of TPM’s coverage of Obamacare as it wended its tortuous way from the House to the Senate and back again, which is what led me to become a reader/member.

Of course, it does help that we have a president and party in power that actually care more about these things beyond yet more tax cuts and doing what it can to protect a certain Neanderthal-ish version of conservatism. Elections’ having consequences seems to influence what there is, or can be, to write about, too.

Carry on!

5 Likes

O/T Let the howling begin
‘Vaccines are saving lives’: DeSantis stresses importance of shots as Florida COVID cases spike, criticizes mask mandates | WFLA
and I am loving this
McConnell Ticks off a Boatload of Republicans With His Remarks About Vaccinations – RedState

3 Likes

Senator Warner notes that today’s labor economy is different from that of 40 years ago, but he doesn’t seem to acknowledge that a labor union could be anything other than what it was 40 years ago.

2 Likes

Obama promised Card Check. Obama could not deliver. Michigan, Pennsylvania and Wisconsin were lost in 2016.

2 Likes

Fox News Edits VP Harris Words To Justify Anti-Vaxxers

3 Likes

The consent of the Parliamentarian is the least of our worries; keeping 50 Democratic Senators in line is much, much more important.