Judges Order Alabama To Use Special Master’s Map After State Refused To Un-Gerrymander Its Own

A panel of federal judges Thursday ordered Alabama to conduct its 2024 congressional elections under a map crafted by a special master, a necessity after state lawmakers refused to draw a court-ordered second Black opportunity district. 

This is a companion discussion topic for the original entry at https://talkingpointsmemo.com/?p=1470599

These state officials just don’t want to get it. They do get it, but feel they can tell those that they disagree with to go pound salt. There is no penalty in not complying, so why bother. Consistent with Tuberville’s actions as well.

And just wow, here’s the political party that is pro-life (it never really believed that) with respect to abortions in action:

Once you’re born, tough to be you - you’re on your own. I guess they are almost consistent. If their policies are responsible for killing people, then they can offer tax breaks to themselves as they won’t have to fund or they can reduce funding for the safety-net programs that actually help people. A harsh assessment? I think not.

Couple this with the disfunction in the House that is 100% the fault and responsibility of the Republican Party, and it’s easy to connect the dots showing the death of the Republican Party. What happens next will be interesting.

24 Likes

These state officials have been emboldened by the brazenly open corruption of some of the Circuits and SCOTUS. It is unthinkable that the only thing standing between a huge bloc of voters and disenfranchisement is the fact that Roberts is trying to do damage control.

21 Likes

“We can disagree and still love each other unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist.” ― James Baldwin

25 Likes

An apt corollary —

Insanity is pulling the same racist shit over and over again, no matter how many times your so-called “friends” slap you silly.

Sadly we now know that four of the unholy priests would welcome these shenanigans with open arms, but I choose to look at the positive institutional firewall that still holds.

6 Likes

I was back in Alabama for my dad’s passing in February. A nice Black lady stayed with him at night while he was in hospice care. I told her I was a Democrat and she said “I don’t worry about politics. I pray and let the Lord take care of it.” I got the impression that she doesn’t vote at all.

So basically, a good GOTV drive in Alabama can find a lot of voters who make up a silent majority.

19 Likes

Alabama’s last arguments were Trumpian in their obvious stupidity.

10 Likes

And that’s where the rubber meets the road. I can see the State deciding at the last possible moment that they will NOT comply and will keep things as they are, with only one district. No one will come to the aid of the voters, and that’s just the way the GQP wants it.

And who was it that recently asked if Roberts is pleased to see the results of his court gutting VRA?

15 Likes

That’s the sort of thing that would swiftly end with the violators in jail for contempt.

13 Likes

In your face Justice John Roberts, Mr. “We are a post racial America” therefore I can gut the very part of the Voting Rights Act that has prevented this kind of shenanigans in Confederate states since Reconstruction.

Geeeez, how much money has this wasted that could have been put to better use. Costly that gutting of Section 4 of VRA was, on so many levels.

I really wish somebody out there in media land that has a voice people listen to, would make this a loud and clear point to show how incredibly cynical and wrong Justice Roberts was in his confirmation hearings and when they did gut VRA on this very issue alone! It certainly ties in with the rest of corruption from the right wing SCOTUS justices.

The court took the responsibility of redrawing from the Alabama officials after they brazenly ignored the directives of both the federal panel and the Supreme Court. When the Supreme Court knocked down its map as a Voting Rights Act violation in June, the case was kicked back to the federal panel, which expected the legislators to draw a new map with an additional Black majority district (or something “quite close to it”). Instead, the legislators defiantly turned in another map with only one Black majority district.

That’s just infuriating.

Rant over…

17 Likes

I cannot think of a single one (other than, maybe, Josh) that has a big enough platform and enough of an audience where screaming something like this repetitively for a month would make any difference.

1 Like

What Alabama did was attempt to goad SCOTUS into invalidating the entire Voting Rights Act.

SCOTUS, for whatever reason, refused to be goaded.

13 Likes

9 Likes

Southern whites have been fighting a rear-guard action since they lost the Civil War. The Union Army left too soon.

5 Likes

Absent a court expansion, they’ll get around to it.

3 Likes

Ah but it did and for pretty much the same reasons the VRA was necessary in the first place.

13 Likes

But how would it affect the election? AFAIK there aren’t any do-overs when an election happens with bad maps.

1 Like

I know they gutted the preclearance section, but I thought they left the provision in that permitted suits to reengage preclearance for a jurisdiction. I’m not well-versed enough to figure out how to find that, but that’s what I recall. If so, it seems like someone could sue to get Alabama and Ohio back onto preclearance, given their current petulance.

Though if that provision is still there, I would have expected some good government group to try initiate the process by now.

2 Likes

Agree. Ignoring the Federal Courts is not smart. Remember this lady?

And the Kansas Sec State from who thought it was cute to ignore a Federal Judge.

That last cost Kansas a helluva lot of money.

5 Likes

The same sex marriage case: Alito and Thomas, never passing up an opportunity to be asswipes

1 Like
Comments are now Members-Only
Join the discussion Free options available