Judge Rejects Graham’s Motion To Quash Fulton County Subpoena

A federal judge in Atlanta on Monday rejected Sen. Lindsey Graham’s (R-SC) attempt to quash a subpoena to testify before a special grand jury in Fulton County, investigating former President Trump and his allies’ efforts to subvert the 2020 election results in Georgia.

This is a companion discussion topic for the original entry at https://talkingpointsmemo.com/?p=1428946

Tired of winning yet, Trumpies?

Oh and also this:

“Senator Graham did not inject himself into Georgia’s electoral process, and never tried to alter the outcome of any election. The conversation was about absentee ballots and Georgia’s procedures,” Graham’s attorneys wrote in a filing last month

WTFO?

22 Likes

Post withdrawn due to poor timing.

16 Likes

What are the chances that Lindsey will follow the true believers suicide by cop trend we’ve been seeing?

1 Like

He still won’t show up.

I’m not impressed until someone drags him there, kicking and screaming.

I mean, after all, how wonderful would the footage be for the minions that would scream and yell as to how Graham was being abused, all the time crying about the lack of law and order in this administration?

17 Likes

If Graham didn’t try to inject himself into the election process, then it should be an easy matter for him to testify as to the nature of his phone calls. The reality, of course, is that he is afraid to get up on the stand and testify without knowing what Georgia officials said…he can’t lie about this under oath because he’ll get caught, and he’s apparently afraid to tell the truth about what he really said.

Odds are he’ll continue to delay and ignore the subpoena, and appeal in the hopes that a higher court will go along with his BS excuse. Hopefully that fails, it must if the law still matters. And, in any case, we’ll eventually hear about what he did, and can hope that it’s enough to end his political career along with everyone else who continues to stay on the S.S. Trump.

40 Likes

Looks like Lady Lindsay has Georgia on His Mind:

Georgia, Georgia
The whole day through (the whole day through)
Just an old sweet song
Keeps Georgia on my mind (Georgia on my mind)

I said Georgia
Georgia
A song of you (a song of you)
Comes as sweet and clear
As moonlight through the pines

Other arms reach out to me
Other eyes smile tenderly
Still in peaceful dreams I see
The road leads back to you

I said Georgia
Oh Georgia, no peace I find (no peace I find)
Just an old sweet song

Other arms reach out to me
Other eyes smile tenderly
Still in peaceful dreams I see
The road leads back to you

Whoa-whoa, Georgia
Georgia
No peace, no peace I find
Just an old, sweet song

I said just an old sweet song
Keeps Georgia on my mind

10 Likes

His next claim will be that the Aug. 23 date would interrupt his congressional recess, which is essential for his “servicing” his constituents.

20 Likes

He’s servicing them, alright…

9 Likes

Maybe Lindsay will show if the court promises to make a fainting couch and some smelling salts available.

6 Likes

Lindsey gets way too much air time and column inches. Time to quash Lindsey???

14 Likes

Something is coalescing. Somewhere in the tumult was an insult went too far. If we could only remember which, or is it the sum?

Either way, when this guy starts feinting you know there is trouble. An Old South stalwart and a middleman, going to the shed. Oops.

7 Likes

He was perfectly fine forcing President Clinton to testify while in office in the Paula Jones case. And, at least for now, he is just a witness - I guess he knows something we don’t.

34 Likes

Always useful to not be the last rat on board before the ship sinks, Lyndsey.

14 Likes

IIRC, GA Sec State and some others in that office have already testified under oath, to the grand jury overseen by DA Willis.

Aside from the fact that a sitting US Senator has staff whose entire purpose is to take care of mundane issues such as Sen. Graham has claimed he had as his sole purpose for his call(s?). There’s really no reason for him to spend time on that endeavor, unless he felt a need to be sure his call and questions received a great deal of deference that a mere Legislative Aide would likely not. I suppose he might not have wanted any of his staff to be in a position to testify as to the nature of the conversation or his intent.

14 Likes

Won’t Graham just appeal this ruling? If so, won’t he be able to delay testifying for months if not years?

4 Likes

He will show up. But the court is still going to have to force him to testify about anything of substance. So he’ll get a free preview of the questions they want answered, still invoke speech & debate to refuse to answer, and then fight it out in court as to whether he has to actually answer anything. Delay, dissemble, repeat.

43 Likes

How many more tricks does this good ole boy have up his sleeve? A claim of executive privilege? A pocket pardon? Is he going to going to be rolled into the grand jury room in a full body cast just like his bunkmate Rudy Giuliani?

1 Like

They should not force such an important, busy man to go through such a charade.

3 Likes

While it is not nearly as popular, and unlike Willie Nelson who has some admirable qualities, I always preferred Charlie Daniels version of “Georgia”.

Although I am not sure that the line in the second verse, “at least a man’s a man in Georgia” applies to Lindsey Graham if he shows up to testify.

Lamps in the windows burning bright, over in Santa Fe tonight
Full moon shining down along the border
But the ground is hard and the night is black
Over here by the rail-road track
And I wish to the Lord that I was back in Georgia

Blue water in the evening sun
Calling me when the day is done
Mama, mama pray for your son

All of my life I’ve been told
That the LA streets was paved with gold
Fame and fortune waiting to reward you
But it didn’t take long to understand