Judge Hears Final Arguments In Fani Willis DQ Imbroglio – TPM – Talking Points Memo

The two month saga of Trumpworld’s attempt to disqualify Fulton County DA Fani Willis is drawing to a close, as Superior Court Judge Scott McAfee is set to hear closing arguments in the case.

This is a companion discussion topic for the original entry at https://talkingpointsmemo.com/?p=1482163

I’m surprised at you Josh, you mentioned the motion regarding the cell phone records but failed to mention the AG’s response. I guess that’s par for the course when almost all media is ignoring Willis’ response. Here is a part of it:

“The Court’s Standing Case Management Order for Criminal cases was specifically intended to prevent parties from ambushing opposing counsel with purported expert evidence without allowing opposing counsel a meaningful opportunity to review the evidence, review the purported expert’s report and qualifications, and obtain its own expert in rebuttal,” the state’s objection reads. “The Court cannot now allow Defendant Trump to bypass this protective procedure when, in other cases, it has excluded expert evidence for a party’s failure to follow the Standing Case Management Order for Criminal Cases.”

It also states that the person trumps lawyer had reviewing the data is NOT AN EXPERT by the lawyers own admission. This type of information can only be presented to the court by an EXPERT.

41 Likes

I can’t, for the life of me, pretend I care about any of this. Two consenting adults had sex. Big whoop!

Let’s fry the big fish, for f sake, already!!!

27 Likes

The look on Judge McAffee’s face says it all.

“This is a colossal waste of everyone’s time. Please let us just move on to something more important, like a former President facing 91 felony counts in 4 separate trials. That seems slightly more important than this salacious side show.”

-IMHO

36 Likes

Not only did the defense utterly fail to prove their case, I think they ended up pissing off both Willis and Judge McAfee. Overall, I don’t think this sideshow helped the defense and it just might have hurt them.

28 Likes

Worth noting that the Atlanta airport, dozens of hotels, hundreds of businesses and thousands of residences are within the area of the 2 cell phone towers.

I’m curious as to how a subpoena for these cell phone geolocation records was obtained.

22 Likes

It may not be enough to show that Willis had a financial stake in the prosecution via Wade, but that doesn’t mean it’s not damaging, and won’t leave Judge McAfee with lingering questions of how candid prosecutors have been with him.

I think it is fairly safe to say that Hizzoner also has “lingering questions” (not to say “disgust”) about how candid the defense has been with him.

18 Likes

Trump is like the drowning man thrashing in the water. Willing to grab at anything and anyone who gets too close and liable to pull them under with him.

18 Likes

I’d guess they either just asked for them or maybe paid for them. That should be made part of the record though because it’s also likely some MAGA insider purloined them

5 Likes

So any organized criminal can obtain geolocation phone data of members of the DA’s office and team?

12 Likes

You’d have to already know where they were to get the right cell data, so I’m not sure what would be gained by that

I’d be more worried about people setting up their own desktop cell “tower” that intercepts my office calls and enables phones to be hacked (All your baseband are belong to us)

4 Likes

In our current era of craziness, this case is the cream that has risen to the top.

4 Likes

I disagree with the articles suggestion that this sideshow will have any significant affect on the case going forward including;

lingering questions of how candid prosecutors have been with him.

Once the judge rules on this matter, it is over the likely outcome is the case will move forward as if this never happened.

5 Likes

This was a disturbing spectacle. What judge allows a hearing to go forward with ZERO evidence of a non crime? This would never have happened to a white male in similar circumstances.

20 Likes

The stochastic terrorism against the judge is now all thoroughly lined up. He donated $150 to Willis’ campaign, so clearly something something “lawfare”…

8 Likes

You would have to get their personal cell phone numbers. As I said, how is it possible that criminals can get access to this through legal means?

2 Likes

Subpoenas are a bitch. And i think you need more than just he cell number. I think you need the alpha-numeric identification code for the device itself.

1 Like

And back to my original question. How did Trump’s criminal coconspirators get a subpoena for a member of the DA team’s phone records? Who granted the subpoena? On what basis did they apply for them? How did they get Wade’s personal phone number, etc.?

9 Likes

An hour and half my God to go over a huge nothing burger.

5 Likes

Haha, Judge is telegraphing he is ready to make a decision. He knows he does not need any new evidence to make a decision because the defense has nothing.

4 Likes
Comments are now Members-Only
Join the discussion Free options available