Johnson Boldly Insists There’s ‘Nothing Racial’ About His BLM Comments | Talking Points Memo

Sen. Ron Johnson (R-WI) on Monday defended comments he made last week that were largely interpreted as racist suggesting that there was “nothing racial” about his suggestion that he would have reason to fear if the Capitol rioters hd been associated with Black Lives Matter or antifa. 

This is a companion discussion topic for the original entry at https://talkingpointsmemo.com/?p=1365082
1 Like

“It wasn’t something a racist would say – and I should know!”

20 Likes

“This isn’t about race, this is about riots,” Johnson told reporters on Monday.

Has anyone told the Moron From Milwaukee* that the [BLM] riots . . . wait for it . . . were about race?

* I don’t know if he’s from Milwaukee, but I like alliteration.

24 Likes

If you’re going to tell a lie, you might as well be bold-faced about it.

12 Likes

“Even though those thousands of people that were marching to the Capitol were trying to pressure people like me to vote the way they wanted me to vote, I knew those were people that love this country, that truly respect law enforcement, would never do anything to break the law, and so I wasn’t concerned,” Johnson said in a Thursday interview with conservative radio host Joe “Pags” Pagliarulo.

“Where I’m consistent is I condemn them all. I condemned the Capitol breach immediately. I don’t like lawlessness,” Johnson said.

The latter is not supported by the former comment.

24 Likes

“Now, had the tables been turned — Joe, this could get me in trouble

Gee, if he was so sure, why did he say it could get him in trouble?

16 Likes

I suspect that cognitive dissonance has been selectively bred out of the GQP gene pool.

18 Likes

Taking back this seat is a must win for Democrats. We can’t abandon these seats to Republicans if we hope to be the governing party.

10 Likes

Or bald-faced.

Or even barefaced. :wink:

11 Likes

Saw a lot of commentary on this last night. Almost all the focus was on the racial aspect. Johnson boldly asserted the insurrectionists had the utmost respect for law enforcement officers. Three are dead and over 140 were injured. Yet the incongruity of this aspect of his statement went largely unremarked upon.

29 Likes

If Johnson had a brain he’d be dangerous.

8 Likes

Oh, he’s plenty dangerous as is. More to the point: if he had a brain cell, it would die of loneliness.

14 Likes

Rabid dogs can’t balance a checkbook.

2 Likes

I’ve got to imagine that there are a slew of GOPers behind the scenes absolutely pleading with this asshole not to run again. WI is a state that got drunk and woke up next to the Tea Party, then found out it was pregnant, and tried to make it work. Now it’s trying to end that relationship which isn’t so easy considering the voter suppression measures the Democratic governor can’t undo. Between his support of Trump and the Capitol insurrectionists, the increasingly utterly batshit insane rhetoric when it’s not outright racist, his seat is prime for the picking.

34 Likes

No one seems to talk about the ‘Overton Window’ these days, but I think we should introduce the ‘MAGA Window’. Mr. Trump did just what I feared: his 5 years of outlandish and offensive actions and stations pushed the envelope so far out that increasingly blatant racist and discriminatory statements (And actions…) have become normalized. Then, of course, whenever, these guys are called out they immediately retreat into their protective media bubbles and claim they are the true victims.

14 Likes

But for the love of God Ron keep your pants on. No one needs to see that.

7 Likes

That’s what she said.

9 Likes

Joe, this could get me in trouble

Transl.: I’m fixing to say something transgressive here, so pay attention.

I wasn’t surprised, but it’s still pretty shocking that they would take what I consider a completely innocuous comment and turn it into you know, use the race card on me,

Transl.: This is the part where I feign outrage that anybody found my statement to be transgressive.

26 Likes

“Joe, this could get me in trouble…”

“I’m not a racist, but…”

18 Likes

Johnson resigns (for a possible number of reasons)…

And is replaced by the Dem Guv.

I have an imagination… :sunglasses:

10 Likes