Jim Clyburn Is Moving Down One Spot In The House Leadership Ranking - TPM – Talking Points Memo

House Majority Whip Jim Clyburn (D-SC) is making way for new Democratic Party leaders in the upcoming Congress. On Friday afternoon, shortly after House Speaker Nancy Pelosi (D-CA) issued a statement praising Reps. Hakeem Jeffries (D-NY), Katherine Clark (D-MA), and  Pete Aguilar (D-CA) as a “new generation” of leadership whose “time has come,” Clyburn’s spokesperson Hope Derrick issued a statement to Talking Points Memo announcing that he was running for the fourth ranked spot in the caucus. 

This is a companion discussion topic for the original entry at https://talkingpointsmemo.com/?p=1440030
1 Like

Good move. Step down a bit, but stay close enough to provide advice. He’s got a lot of knowledge and wisdom.

25 Likes

Democrats in disarray! This can only be good news for John McCain! /s

15 Likes

Garland is appointing a Special Counsel in the Trump matters.

22 Likes

Clearly after the shellacking they got in the mid-terms, the Dem leadership is abandoning ship…Oh Waily-Waily!

3 Likes

Seems like this oughta be…you know… front-page news here?

13 Likes

I’m encouraged by the Democratic Party’s succession planning. I’m assuming they’ve picked talented, young stars to take leadership positions while still having old hands like Pelosi and Clyburn available for advice and consultation. There’s nothing under the sun Pelosi and Clyburn haven’t seen, especially after four years of Trump.

And it was done without public in-fighting or friction, unlike in the Republican Party.

24 Likes

Personally, I’d rather that Garland make the call on prosecuting Trump instead of punting it to a special counsel. He signed up for this in his confirmation hearing.

15 Likes

This appears prudent to me (channeling GHW Bush). I admire Nancy for NOT quitting the House in toto. I remember when Gingrich bounced HE quit (could not BEAR not being the Big Kahuna any longer) and then Livingston bounced HE quit because of the opprobrium for even putting his name up for SOTU knowing he had a long-term affair (all these guys going after Clinton were doing the same thing! talk about hypocrites on display!!!)

So no special elections for the taxpayers to pay for. They will just stay around to give ‘assistance’ as needed.

Nancy has been a wonderful SOTU.

15 Likes

Mr. Clyburn moves down…BUT…somebody may never move up…

13 Likes

Nancy was always de facto party whip – at least to some extent. It makes sense that as she steps down, the whip position would also adjust. Glad that Clyburn will remain in a leadership role. He’s an important voice in the party

17 Likes

Republicans in ruin!

10 Likes

Special council … what’s the benefit?

3 Likes

I hope this shuts down the “where’s Garland and what’s he doing?” nonsense. The wheels of justice grind slowly but always towards justice.

@eliz @darrtown Because you have questions.

The appointment of a special counsel was a way for the Justice Department to insulate its investigations against Mr. Trump from political considerations. While special counsels can be fired from their positions, the process is much more arduous than removing ordinary prosecutors from a case.

Special counsels are semi-independent prosecutors who by Justice Department regulations can be appointed for high-level investigations when there can be a conflict of interest, or the appearance of it. They exercise greater day-to-day autonomy than regular United States attorneys, but are ultimately still subject to the control of the attorney general.

17 Likes

For donald? More delay.
For DoJ? Makes any decision seen as way less political witch hunt.

7 Likes

https://talkingpointsmemo.com/edblog/garland-to-name-trump-special-counsel

3 Likes

Yep.

Fucking stupid.

Worse is that it tells every republican crook from now on how to delay DOJ prosecutions

And if you actually get the presidency you are un-indictable. Also impeachment is a joke

3 Likes

Special council … what’s the benefit?

It’s right there in the name! It is special. Stoke of genius on the part of AG Garland to bypass the “Mundane Counsel” step and kick it up a notch!

6 Likes

Adding legitimacy to previously illegitimate criticism of Garland?

1 Like

There are other front pages where it is news, cough, cough, and a loud harumph.

5 Likes