Jan. 6 Committee To Top Trump Cronies: Spill The Beans! | Talking Points Memo

A lot of things happened. Here are some of the things.

The House Jan. 6 select committee struck directly into the core of Trumpland yesterday with its first blast of subpoenas demanding documents and witness testimony from:

This is a companion discussion topic for the original entry at https://talkingpointsmemo.com/?p=1388423
1 Like

I don’t think ex-executive privilege is a thing.

48 Likes

Mornin

41 Likes

Yesterday wasn’t a good day for trumplandia.

37 Likes

The universal response to the 1/6 Committee subpoenas, after court challenges fail - “On the advice of counsel I respectfully decline to answer under the Fifth Amendment.”

15 Likes

I really hope the leaked report is correct, but as Rachel Maddow said last night she’s concerned this is a “too good to be true” moment that was deliberately created. She wouldn’t even discuss it because there was no confirmation on any level. “But fingers crossed…”

19 Likes

I caught Dan Goldman on MSNBC last night saying it’s a sure thing Trump and others caught up in the 1/6 committee subpoenas will probably have a modicum of success, at least initially, litigating the matter. And that once the entry level court gets involved it’ll inevitably start down the long slog of losses, appeals, losses and appeals. It’ll bog down the committee in a serious way, and put at risk wrapping up the investigation and presenting findings before the start of the next Congress, which may find the House in GOP control. Of course if that happens the committee is getting disbanded and the investigation is getting shut down.

He also made a point of reminding listeners Dems have the aggravating tendency to slowly approach going for the jugular and demanding of the courts a fast tracking of law suits filed merely to impede them. Nuisance filings doomed to fail. If they don’t proceed with urgency this will all end with not a bang, but a whimper.

14 Likes

Only In America

28 Likes

You don’t have to be a payed political pundit to make that obvious pronouncement.

3 Likes

The clownish hand recount of the Maricopa County 2020 election results led by Cyber Ninjas, the pro-Trump tech firm that state GOP senators contracted for the bogus “audit,” failed to find anything that would magically flip Arizona to Trump.

But they did make lots of money fleecing the rubes, so mission accomplished.

30 Likes

Yet despite all that being blindingly obvious Dems will proceed to plod along, contra the old tale, the turtle that loses to the hare.

2 Likes

Even Hive photos are articulate!

12 Likes

Well, thanks for the warning; I wouldn’t want to be blindsided by this. But I’m going to be philosophical about it. If they want to publicly declare that they can’t discuss what they did that day and in the days leading up to it without incriminating themselves, well, I guess I’ll just have to live with that. :smiling_imp:

35 Likes

Um… Aesop said the turtle won.

9 Likes

Dear TPM,

I respectfully request that you cease and desist reporting on TFG’s reactions to the J6 Committee’s actions. His reactions are both transparent and dishonest. Why report on a man who continues to try to take over our country, illegally? His comments add nothing to the information, nor to the discussion.

Thank you,
Me

5 Likes

Yay, we’re getting an audit!

36 Likes

They gonna let some New York boy tell 'em what to do? Sheeeee-it.

24 Likes

Looks like a good news day to me when guys like Meadows, Bannon, Scavino and Patel get called on the carpet.

15 Likes

Abbott using State funds for a political campaign.

12 Likes

Someone should ask Abbott why he’s not auditing the red counties.

33 Likes
Comments are now Members-Only
Join the discussion Free options available