Jackson Dings Court For Punting On Abortion Case When Idaho Is So Clearly Wrong

Originally published at: Jackson Dings Court For Punting On Abortion Case When Idaho Is So Clearly Wrong - TPM – Talking Points Memo

Justice Ketanji Brown Jackson wrote alone in a major abortion ruling (officially) released Thursday, cutting through her colleagues’ posturing on why they needed to send the case back down to the lower courts.  The case, centered on whether Idaho’s draconian abortion ban supersedes federal emergency room standards, she wrote, is an easy one — and…

2 Likes

I’m really thankful that Justice Jackson is on the Court. Good grief, can we make sure the three rational Justices have armed protection at all times, and maybe an ambulance that just follows them around.

34 Likes

Yep, punting their monstrous decision until after the election.

37 Likes

Idaho women seeking reproductive health care in Washington is up 50% since Idaho declared war on them.

25 Likes

Those men on the court, all cowards, all corrupt, all misogynistic. God help us get through this challenging time.

22 Likes

What he says:

40 Likes

Imagine working your whole life to excel in law school, climbing through the ranks of academic excellence into the political stratosphere above – and succeeding! – only to spend the rest of your career working under this tiny cluster of pompously ignorant dickwads who are led around by the nose by this planet’s worst, richest shit-heels.

Will nobody rid us of these troublesome stooges?

33 Likes

This has become a ‘thing’ on RW courts. Punt, punt, punt and hope to hell another case comes up. MEANWHILE the people suffer. Bless Justice Brown for calling it out.

24 Likes

The paralysis of the political process in the Senate and House results in the Supreme Court making decisions that exposes the justices most grotesque and personal political leanings, thereby ignoring their fidelity to the U.S. Constitution and long-standing, established law!!! It has come to this???

7 Likes

Idaho Women should move to Washington and cut the BS. Or maybe not, they will start voting GOP and turn Washington into Idaho.

3 Likes

Jackson is chief justice material.

29 Likes

I always wonder how much of a “gratuity” the Republican justices get for these kinds of decision.

12 Likes

“More to the point, [the ruling] directly violated federal law, which in our system of government is supreme.”

There it is. She nailed it. The problem with the court.

These justices are subjects of the same law as everybody else. The judicial branch doesn’t, in fact, make any laws itself. Roe v Wade unconstitutional? No. It was properly decided law that the justices themselves were supposed to support.

Not target.

9 Likes

So the supremacy clause was wrongly inserted in the constitution? Go figure. I thought we fought a war on that.

8 Likes

Agreed. We’re looking at a future Chief Justice.

2 Likes

My thoughts exactly. Vote like it matters becuz of TFG get re-uped, we could very well have a super majority of right wing cranks and there goes liberty.

4 Likes

As unbelievable as that is for an “unbiased, non-political” SCOTUS, we are not given an alternative explanation for why SCOTUS reached down and plucked (and stayed) the lower court’s ban on the Idaho law, bypassing the 9th Circuit apellate process, and sitting on it for 5 months while women are airlifted to WA or OR for emergency treatment, without any decision at all. Wtf?

I guess this is the new federal judiciary, as for example this one:

19 Likes

They can move at rocket speed when they want to ban something the don’t like.

9 Likes

How’s about some @khyber900 perspective on the polling data that shows Trump leading?

2 Likes

“Three justices, Alito, Gorsuch and Thomas, assert ‘that States have free rein to nullify federal law.’”

Er, whut? IANAConstitutionalL, but that sounds seriously whack. Am I missing something?

5 Likes