IRS Granted Tax-Exempt Status To White Nationalist And Extremist Groups, Including An Oath Keepers Foundation

What is good, and what is not good; need we anyone to tell us these things?

2 Likes

The two main benefits for the organization are fund raising and operating without the obligation to pay income taxes. Most corporate donors will not support an organization unless it is a (c)(3). We converted a (c)(4) to a (c)(3) solely for that reason.

I’m good with that. I’m also good with eliminating all itemized deductions on individual tax returns, but that’s a different discussion.

2 Likes

On the topic of confronting the Right…

[In Ukraine] War-themed fashion has become popular; one friend sported a t-shirt that read “War-Work Balance.” I saw one woman with a tote bag that read, “Sex is cool, but Putin’s death is better.”
–Josh Kovensky

You have to admire Ukrainians who can keep a sense of humor. We could help them there    : - )

• A bumper sticker for Russian tanks: “How’s My Driving?”
  • I brake for missiles.
  • Honk if you’re a target.
15 Likes

I knew a man who was trying to create a non-profit to help the families of incarcerated parents who were more often men. The IRS gave him such a ration of crap, he gave up.
Yet we hear of veterans’ charities the principals of which throw 6-diget “meetings” in HI or the Bahamas.
$100M Navy vet charity fraud trial hears how donations ‘disappeared’ (nbcnews.com)

And 60-min did an expose’ on the fake Mormon non-profit involving $billions.
24 Likes

They say that one day archaeologists will visit the site of Savannah and find nothing but weird Bondo sculptures.

3 Likes

“There is nothing good or bad but thinking makes it so.”
Shakespeare

7 Likes

Hate groups to you. Regular American Conservatives to Senator Tommy Tuberville and Representative Paul Gosar.

4 Likes

And fewer church gymnasiums.

2 Likes

I suspect that many small orgs run lean so they aren’t owing net taxes anyway. But they may still pay some before credits or refunds. I’ll visit the place next time I’m out there. The last time I was in Casco Bay I was driven into Chebeague Island by an ocean storm in a 32’ sloop. We visited Peaks the following day as I recall, but it was years ago.

I think, therefore I am.

Ergo…There is nothing good or bad, but I am.

3 Likes

Cleo should get an exemption. Did I mention the $80 Canadian per month for her arthritis injection? If ever there was a cat that needs it, it’s her.

16 Likes

OT: Republicans overreaching with book bans. Losing school board races even in some rural areas.

13 Likes

11 Likes

“I think therefore I am”
Not
“I am therefore I think”
Heisenberg was correct. Observation precedes material reality.

7 Likes

How does one know that they didn’t think before being?

3 Likes

The only proper answer is that consciousness is immutable and independent of material existence.

4 Likes

A non-falsifiable answer is not exactly an answer. :upside_down_face:

3 Likes

So the white nationalists and other anti-government groups are taking advantage of wingnut welfare. Has a republican member of congress ever objected to this ?

2 Likes

Just got back from my walk.

“It’s a Good Sign”

There’s a second juvie, but it’s ducked into the nest.

ETA. Doncha get me wrong. But I don’t want to turn TPM into a bill board.

13 Likes

11 Likes
Comments are now Members-Only
Join the discussion Free options available