Iranian-Americans Are Being Detained At The Border, Muslim Advocacy Group Alleges

The Washington state chapter of the Council on American-Islamic Relations (CAIR-WA) alleged on Sunday that Customs and Border Protection officials have been detaining Iranians and Iranian-Americans amid President Donald Trump’s push for war against Iran.

This is a companion discussion topic for the original entry at https://talkingpointsmemo.com/?p=1282732

Well, may as well re-open the Japanese-American Concentration Camps, since we have apparently not learned any lessons about questioning people’s loyalty based on their heritage.

16 Likes

2 Likes

Is this MAGA?

5 Likes

And this is a surprise to whom? The only question is whether hating and fearing Iranians and Arabs will take Stephen Miller’s focus off of hating and fearing Latinxs.

9 Likes

The Trump-loving Brownshirts at Customs and Border Control are back at it. They really love doing this kind of shit.

2 Likes

It will be interesting to see courts try to thread the needle on this one, which is even more egregious than the original muslim ban.

8 Likes

“When fascism comes to America, it will be wrapped in a flag and carrying a cross.” – Sinclair Lewis, 1935

8 Likes

Or maybe we should make Iranian- and Arab-Americans wear some kind of highly visible symbol, so that everyone can keep track of them and know how to treat them.

8 Likes

The most succinct depiction of Donnie’s foreign policy, at greatly enlarged scale…

4 Likes

After a brief blurb about the Seahawks playoff win,this was the lead story on the local late night news here in Seattle -at least on the channel I watch. It was verified and is more than a bit alarming. CPB detained and questioned the loyalty of U.S. citizens. It was not a bunch of rogue agents.

21 Likes

This was unequivocally confirmed yesterday when the CPB issued a statement that said “Social media posts that CBP is detaining Iranian-Americans and refusing their entry into the U.S. because of their country of origin are false. Reports that DHS/CBP has issued a related directive are also false.”

“We kept asking why we were being detained and asked questions that had nothing to do with our reason for traveling and was told, ‘I’m sorry this is just the wrong time for you guys.’”
— A 24-year-old woman named Crystal, who had been detained at the border for 10 hours and who, like many others interviewed, declined to give her last name for fear of retaliation.

Once again, as predictable as the sunrise.

17 Likes

Here we go, Nazism full speed ahead. Cages far behind?

3 Likes

Umm, cages are already being utilized, albeit for different subsets of people.

1 Like

Every day, in every way, Trump and the Republicans find a way to make me even more ashamed of my country, and more fearful for my children’s future.

6 Likes

One man was asked about his father’s military service in Iran. His service was prior to the revolution that deposed the Shah. U.S. citizens who were born in the U.S. were detained because of Iranian heritage. One woman had small children -CPB took their passports AND car keys.

12 Likes

Eventually the trick will be to have a different country be “my country” for many of us.

There’s one still available outside Death Valley operated by Park Service. Heartbreaking really to tour it and see the list of names of people that were there, freezing winters, heat beyond imagining in summer.

4 Likes

I wonder who will get the contract buying these for $222.99 on eBay and reselling them to CPB for $34K a pop?

download

9 Likes

As part of the federal government under Trump, you literally cannot believe a word that Customs and Border Protection says.

1 Like