Internal Emails Show How Chaos at the CDC Slowed the Early Response to Coronavirus | Talking Points Memo

It’s time to call Lt Gen Russel Honoré, the man who saved New Orleans from the Bush Administration.

He is in Louisiana.

6 Likes

Judgement at Mar a lago.

8 Likes

You can’t just wave your magic wand and create a home-based test. A test like that could take years to develop. Plus, it would have to be beyond idiot proof. That is, to say the least, easier said than done. I believe Douglas Adams may have stated it best: “A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools.”

In the meantime, PCR-based molecular assays are the gold standard. Those need skilled sample collection and skilled operators to run the tests. Plus, because of the potential infectivity of the samples, sample collection and the running of the tests have to be done in special facilities by people who are equipped with proper protective gear.

11 Likes

Pay no attention to the hundreds of thousands of horses galloping outside the gates.

5 Likes

Actually, “Citizens Arrest” aired in 1963. But who’s counting?

Fun Fact: I still watch the old black-and-white episodes whenever possible because I’m a huge fan of composer Earle Hagen. (That’s him whistling and snapping his fingers on the recording of his composition “The Fishin’ Hole,” the show’s theme song.

How’s that for some world-class “nerditude”?

11 Likes

People living near the CDC say the buildings are run down, morale stinks, and lots of people leaving. Wasn’t this the ‘crown jewel’ in our healthcare system? I can’t really dwell on it all because it makes me livid. Every fucking Republican in Congress should be put on trial.

13 Likes

Good stuff.

2 Likes

When this thing is over, these people should each testify for 11 hours.

5 Likes

Not relevant to whom?

Not relevant to Munchkin, for sure, because his employer is still open for business. It’s sure as hell relevant to State Departments of Labor. It’s sure as hell relevant to those 3.3M people laid off because of SAR-COV-2.

3 Likes

I made up the date cause I figured it was before he got his own show.
:wink:

2 Likes

Those are irrelevant people, they can all die and be easily replaceable. (Didn’t we want to run the government like a business?) When billionaires start cancelling the orders of their 500 million yachts, welll then there is a crisis indeed…

3 Likes

You’re forgiven, your sin (albeit minor) absolved.

Full disclosure: I’m not priest but I hope to one day play one on TV.

2 Likes

When I was out of town on a business a few weeks ago self quarantined, at the hotel I watched some early 1960s cowboy shows. Maverick, Have Gun Will Travel etc.
The shows were terrible but what scared me was I was able to sing along with the theme songs and remembered all the words.

11 Likes

Those were top-of-the-line composers, many of them on studios’ staff, and their arrangements/orchestrations were stellar.

6 Likes

Certainly the lyrics were snappy like a good broadway musical and obviously easily remembered.

5 Likes

Frankly, we would expect nothing less…

4 Likes

No. NIH is. Best healthcare system on the planet.

2 Likes

I know better than to say “never”, but there will never be a home rPCR test for anything. There will probably never be a home ELISA test for SARS-COV-2, either. AIDS has been around (and known) since the mid-1980s and we don’t have a home ELISA for it yet.

2 Likes

Brilliant!

2 Likes

Read this to understand the complexity of creating a serological (antibody) based test. First, note the number of people involved in this study at the top. If your eyes glaze over reading the details, skip to the Acknowledgments and meditate upon our notion of heroes. Click on Preview PDF to read the paper.

5 Likes