Installing Trump Official As Top NSA Lawyer Shows ‘Disregard’ For NatSec, Pelosi Tells DOD | Talking Points Memo

Ellis — who served as Rep. Devin Nunes’ (R-CA) chief counsel when Nunes chaired the House Intelligence Committee — was one of three finalists for the job, though he did not receive the highest score from a panel evaluating candidates…
“Once a candidate is selected through the merit system…"

Something must be terribly wrong with the “merit system”. It is hardly a merit system. The Pentagon spokesperson is just lying.

18 Likes

Part of the delay was his failure to take the required polygraph. Has that actually happened?

15 Likes

Pelosi said the last-minute onboarding of Michael Ellis as NSA’s general counsel reeked of politics

He seems like a harmless guy . . .

Oh wait, I understand he’s not that Michael Ellis. Anyone who has anything to do with Devin Nunes, including his mother, his father, and his cows, should not be involved in any way with national security, other than to be the subject of a national security investigation.

25 Likes

I think it shows deep regard for national security, just not the security of this nation.

14 Likes

Strip him of his security clearance on January 20. Not only will he not be qualified to work at the NSA but he also won’t be qualified to work on pretty much any political job in DC that would interest him including any of Nunes’ committee assignments.

He can work in Nunes’ Fresno district office.

22 Likes

Or, as I suggested on another thread:

14 Likes

I expect a very short tenure for this guy. Like tenth of a Scaramucci unit.

16 Likes

Two red flags, that he wasn’t the first choice and that the White House applied pressure, makes it clear that something funky happened around this. Add in his inability to take the position for two months, and it’s obvious that they are trying to shove him through despite the national security system’s foot dragging. He obviously should not be in that position, and he won’t be staying long…even if he can’t be fired he’ll be constrained so he can’t do anything.

These Republican true believers are really the ones to worry about…Ellis did questionable things for Nunes, there’s no way he got hired without shenanigans by other true believers. The Biden administration is going to be hard pressed to find and work around all of the people who are burrowed into government, because this time most are unlikely to be the good kind who are competent and should be kept around. They are possible points of sabotage, and they need to be watched and removed the moment they step out of line.

23 Likes

Republicans needed a well placed mole to keep track of any collusion cases with the Russians.

6 Likes

Pull his security clearance on Thursday.

ETA. I see @dwward thinks faster than me.

8 Likes

Holes, gotta count them all

I read the news today oh, boy
Four thousand holes in blackburn, lancashire
And though the holes were rather small
They had to count them all
Now they know how many holes it takes to fill the albert hall

9 Likes

Clearing the government of Trump detritus qualifies as real work.

7 Likes

Wait a minute…Devin Nunes Cow is a TRUE patriot and lover of truth!

9 Likes

Just fire his ass, inform him he’ll be arrested for trespassing if he tries to come back in the building, and let him pay a halfway competent lawyer if he wants to do anything about it. The point is to get him the hell out of there, not to try to avoid a possibly meritorious lawsuit.

28 Likes

[Acting Defense Secretary] Miller ordered NSA Director Paul Nakasone to install Ellis as NSA general counsel

Acting on behalf of a twice impeached Chief Executive, found to have had questionable dealings (at best) with Russian intelligence and international organized crime figures, to pick the top lawyer at the National Security Agency.

Seems to be a flakey merit system to me.

9 Likes

Is West Dungbeetle anywhere near East Bunphuq, Nebraska?

4 Likes

From what I’ve seen, since he’s Senior Executive Service (SES) his position can be delayed while they review it and then could reassign him to something lower-level or freeze him out until he quits, but Biden can’t fire him.

9 Likes

OT

26 Likes

East Bumfuck is in Arkansas.

And West Dungbeetle is the 6th largest city in Nebraska.

6 Likes

Yep; same county.

2 Likes
Comments are now Members-Only
Join the discussion Free options available