In Barnburner Wisconsin Supreme Court Race, Democrats Will Look To Flex Recent Off-Year Strength - TPM – Talking Points Memo

Or, um, er, insurrectionists?

1 Like

Mostly true, but at least in San Francisco, non-citizens can vote in school board elections. Here are the rules (below), and I’d like to note, there is NO requirement for an applicant to show documentation. (SF is a sanctuary city, as well.)

"To register as a non-citizen voter for the next Board of Education (School Board) election, you must be all of the following:

(1)   A San Francisco resident who intends to remain so until the next Board of Education election;

(2)   The parent, legal guardian, or caregiver of a child living in the San Francisco Unified School District (i.e. living in San Francisco);

(3)   At least 18 years of age on Election Day (the next such date is November 5, 2024); and

(4)   Not disqualified from voting under state law for imprisonment or mental incompetence.

https://www.sf.gov/non-citizen-voting-rights-local-board-education-elections

2 Likes

It surprised the heck out of me, and I was impressed that it was answered correctly. Brian Hardzinski, the public radio producer formerly from Flower Mound, Texas, buzzed in first.

The category is “T.P.” for $1,000, and the clue is “It precedes ‘Memo’ in the title of a political news website.”

(Okay, so he’s a public radio producer so maybe not all that surprising, but still, it seemed like it would have been a tough clue for most contestants.)

10 Likes

One of the Puritans wrote, iirc, that “the floors of Hell are paved with the skulls of unbaptized infants”. But on the other hand the nutbars back then seemed to think that original sin only came into effect at birth, so Idunno.

Meanwhile,

Still, it’ll likely be a main theme of the 2025 race: Brad Schimel, a former state attorney general who is already running, opposes abortion rights.

Shows how old I am that I have a nostalgic fondness for the days when candidates for judgeships didn’t campaign based on already having decided how they would vote in future cases.

7 Likes

In MO we have the Missouri Plan. A non-partisan commission selects candidates for the governor to choose from to fill judicial vacancies. If the governor does pick a someone within 60 days then the commission picks a candidate to fill the position.
Then we get to the electing part. Once a jurist has served one year then they’re up for election. But judges don’t run like a regular candidate for political office. We vote to either retain, or dismiss. So there are not “political campaigning”, we the voter retain or dismiss.
Over the past couple of decades there are discussions on rulings by this judge or that judge. And there are a review of lawyers that have had cases before this or that judge up for retention speak if the judge is qualified or not. I usually listen to the local NPR station for analysis of this. Back in the day a co-worker would go through the newspaper, the physical newspaper, and read the different court cases and decisions. She’d keep of file on the good, the bad, and the should never ever be on the bench judges.
I’m pretty sure that there is no judge that “runs for a position on the bench”, at least in my part of the state.

5 Likes

Evening Reflection

Notice that those who oppose DEI are unsuccessful. DEI are the qualities that produce successful businesses.

5 Likes

Maybe the medium place?

3 Likes

I remember that OJ’s website was at:

http:slash slash slash slash slash backslash slash stab slash.

F him. He’s dead, good.

1 Like

Unicorns are well known libruls! Can’t even have them.

1 Like

You know, I kind of like this Pope, but seriously, f$ck his religion.

Limbo

4 Likes

Wood an’ hay kin burn.
/faulkner

2 Likes

The Mormons will baptize it and give it a planet.

3 Likes

Spoiler - they are not.

Republicans have tried to change it over the years.

The last time voters weighed in on the Missouri Plan was 2012. Lawmakers voted to place a constitutional amendment on the ballot giving the governor the power to appoint four of the seven members of the commission that chooses nominees for the Court of Appeals and the Missouri Supreme Court. Currently, the governor appoints three of the seven.

The group backing the amendment ultimately abandoned its campaign, and it was overwhelmingly defeated with 76 percent of voters opposing it and only 23 percent in favor.

3 Likes

Right. It’s what’s at stake that is existential–not the race itself.

2 Likes

For a while now, Elon Musk has been tweeting out that it’s the Dems’ plan to maintain “open borders” so that undocumented people can vote Democratic to drive out the GOP; that belief is not particular to him. So, yes: this is one of them there messaging bills to keep the base engaged.

1 Like

Kansas has this same system. When Laura Kelly came into office, Republicans wanted to change the system to something that would more overtly favor the party holding the Governor’s office (they saw her election as an anomaly). It was defeated in the legislature.

2 Likes

Ab Snopes was a sumbitch’s sumbitch.

1 Like

This is a first: I was in the room where a photo here on TPM was taken, as the photo was being taken. However, I am not in it. We were on the far side of the seating area, across from Justice Janet. Cool? :smiley:

Comments are now Members-Only
Join the discussion Free options available