If There Was Ever A Year To Experiment On Thanksgiving, 2020 Is It: TPM’s Cookbook Recommendations

Hidden in the back corners of the TPM Slack lies a hidden gem. A small but lively messaging channel that has taken on a life of its own over the years. It’s comprised of six kindred souls who came together by word of mouth and many not-so-secret invites to trade recipes, share pictures and videos on all things food, and celebrate the much-beloved Dutch Oven.

This is a companion discussion topic for the original entry at https://talkingpointsmemo.com/?p=1344249
1 Like

HAPPY THANKSGIVING to you all, & many happy desserts.

And don’t forget to look up.

20 Likes

Is there really a TPM Slack messaging channel about recipes/food? How do I get there? Love to cook and eat!

6 Likes

What are you cooking today? I’m making easy duck confit and extra-crisp roasted potatoes, with a side of snow peas.

5 Likes

Our oven has been out of commission for a while (long story), so I’m smoking a turkey breast on the combo grill/smoker outside. We got lucky with the weather up here in the coastal Pacific Northwest. Normally it’s blowing 30-45mph wind storms this time of year, but today is relatively calm and it’s not even raining, so I can run the smoker. Sides of baked yams and brussel sprouts in the toaster oven. Just the two of us, no friends or family.

5 Likes

Ottolenghi!!! Can I put a plug in for Ottolenghi’s last two books: Simple and Flavor.

Indispensable. And his take on Chicken Marbella (a riff off the classic from the silver palette cookbook of the 80s) is a dinner party staple, as is his burnt eggplant with pomegranate

3 Likes

We’re celebrating in the traditional manner, with a chicken tzimmes.

https://www.chabad.org/recipes/recipe_cdo/aid/3707335/jewish/Tzimmes-Smothered-Chicken.htm

I’m going to use less carrots that this recipe calls for, but add an extra sweet potato and a white potato, and some prunes and apricots in place of the raisins (which don’t agree with the wife’s digestion).

And my wife is going to try a pear and maple upside-down cake–solid sugar from here to next week.

6 Likes

How is this pepper plant a monster? I don’t get it.

It looks like a regular plant. That it has many fruit? They are designed that way. If you don’t get many fruit it means your gardening skills suck. That’s all. (Hint: don’t fertilize.)

They tend to get lots of blooms at the end of the season. Just before cool weather. If you grow in a pot, put it in the greenhouse if you have it, if not build one. And they will produce if polinated. Keep the greenhouse open on warm days for pollinators. You can have fresh peppers till December that way.

Theoretically, peppers are perennials. I wonder if anyone grows them as perennials?

1 Like

Hi! To find out what I can do, say @discobot display help.

Lasagna!

5 Likes

If it is like the Okra my in-laws had in their back yard, it looked ready to inundate the planet. Huge, produced constantly in season, hence no visit was done without a bag of Okra in hand when leaving. Fortunately, I like okra.

2 Likes

Giving thanks to all the people who saved his life.

“If you are receiving this letter, it is because I have become aware that you had a part in saving my life,” wrote the grateful Upper East Side resident. “It is only after much effort on my part to find your names that I realize just how many of you there were.”

11 Likes

Skipping the big meal today since there’s just four of us. We’re going to spend the day making gingerbread houses instead.

Birthday dinner tomorrow- French onion soup with coconut raspberry chocolate bars for dessert

9 Likes

I would like to suggest elevating soup as an equal participant on the Thanksgiving table.

It’s a great use of harvest vegetables and people don’t eat half as much of the rest of the dishes that clog our areries after beginning the celebration with it. Put a little seafood and/or alcohol in your soup and who needs that extra piece of pecan pie later?

Save most of the pie you spent so much time preparing from scratch for yourself tomorrow after your guests leave so stuffed they never appreciate it anyways. They’ll never know what they missed but you will savor it for days.

Just saying. The pandemic has taught us the importance of minimalizing, uncomplicating and appreciating the less rich things in life…which come from the garden, sea and the still.

Happy Thanksgiving, everyone!.

8 Likes

My cookbook plug is “Recipes for refuge: culinary journeys to America”. It’s published by the refugee women’s alliance here in Seattle.

My happy pandemic discovery is that sourdough discard can be cooked up into an approximation of injera. After that, Ethiopian/Eritrean food is pretty easy to cook at home. I’ve made both Doro Wat and Misir Wot and they came out very tasty.

4 Likes

You got the message, too?

My aunt used to order only appetizers and deserts when eating out. She said life was to short to waste it on sandwiches and potatoes. Go for the stuff you really want and wash it down with a nice cocktail.

7 Likes

Sounds delish! It’s just the two of us also. And the pooch.

3 Likes

This year I’m decarburizing weed, baking pumpkin and squash, and roasting a chicken. House smells amazing right now.

5 Likes

Happy Birthday to you or your loved one! What fun to make gingerbread houses—lucky kids who get those.

7 Likes

Birthday girls request actually. There will also be some rice and roast turkey legs for the other child who hates everything loved by the other, on principle

I love the idea of appetizers and dessert though. Focus on what’s important.

6 Likes