‘I Felt Hate More Than Anything’: How an Active Duty Airman Tried to Start a Civil War | Talking Points Memo

I agree they would be useful tools for someone with better organizing/political/govt. skills.
The terrible gap I have seen in all of these militia-types is they are not trying to form a government or replace with any kind of coherent…Rule. They just want to destabilize and destroy and leave anarchy and strong-man rubble rule. If they have even thought that far ahead. They don’t have any aspirations or tools for dealing with trains, planes, grids, etc. Neither do any of the regular knuckle-dragging Rube voters who just continually chant for destruction.

About their belief system…sure we can attribute some of it to mental health, but I know plenty of perfectly sane and functional people who fall into the gun trap. It is an addiction. It short circuits, and short-cuts all the normal ways we civilized people have to deal. No long struggle, no big lifts, no planning, implementing, organizing, and hoping to make life better for the majority thru hard effort. It is just main-lining this kill-them-all mentality and they just convince themselves civilization will degrade down to the level where their guns will make them kings of the pile.

3 Likes

He looks like Ted Cruz without the dopey midlife-crisis beard. Coincidence? I think not.

2 Likes

An incel cell!

1 Like

And here is the evidence as to why guns in the hands of the mentally ill is a bad idea.

Gun violence has little to do with the mentally ill. Just thought you should know.

@rockitttla

1 Like

Have to repost this but when what was left of Cornwallis British Army marched out of Yorktown to surrender to Washington the drummers and fifers of the defeated army were playing, “The World Has Turned Upside Down”. That was not a fabrication by Miranda to add to his play but a recognition by the British military that their world was going to be totally different going forward.

1 Like

And yet, most people I know are very willing to let it be, to forgive and move forward peacefully together, if we’d just stop being such fucking monsters about it.

I’ve spent most of my life in mixed-race/mixed ethnicity situations. Lived abroad half my adult life… and I can say the fear that these white people have is about as irrational a fear as I’ve ever encountered anywhere.

I hope for a day (well past my lifetime) that humans have mixed to the point where everyone is a light-coffee color, and “race” is no longer an issue at all… I’d reincarnate for that! :stuck_out_tongue:

3 Likes

What’s “TBE”?

1 Like

WTF! This asshole doesn’t seem to have spent many duty hours with the USAF. He was SOG qualified, and just wandered the country as he liked. Whomever was his OIC and his NCOIC have some ‘splainin’ to do. Sad!

1 Like

I’ve said it before, but I think anyone who wants to be a law enforcement officer or in the military should forever be banned from joining either.

It’s not a very practical position, but a wonderful thought experiment.

1 Like

That ideal Coppertone tan color that so many white people spend so much money striving for at tanning salons and on the beach? But not the orange coloration sought by only the most deranged amongst us.

1 Like

Steven Carrillo, a 32-year-old Air Force sergeant who belonged to the anti-government Boogaloo Bois movement, was on the run in the tiny mountain town of Ben Lomond, California.

With deputy sheriffs closing in, Carrillo texted his brother, Evan, asking him to tell his children he loved them and instructing him to give $50,000 to his fiancée. “I love you bro,” Carrillo signed off. Thinking the text message was a suicide note from a brother with a history of mental health troubles

Awesome. The Air Force vetting working as planned.

1 Like

The Second Amendment to our Constitution begins, "A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State . . . " Isn’t about time that our government(s) started taking this concept seriously and taking steps to wrangle these renegade “militias” into submission to reasonable regulation and conformance with our laws?

4 Likes

And anyone wanting to be a prison guard should be locked in prison himself.

1 Like

This is why the Republicans’ “replacement” BS, which Tucker Carlson has recently doubled down on, the idea that Democrats promote open borders to replace the white electorate with reliably Democrat third world voters, never made any sense to me. Republicans, or even full-out fascists, could easily recruit among latinos and other immigrants if they just jettisoned their race hatred and offered them honorary whiteness, as happened with the Irish and Italians. Latino and other immigrant evangelicals are increasingly legion, and perfectly capable of authoritarian thinking, homophobia and prejudice. DNA is not political destiny for anybody, until and unless the racism of white republicans makes it so.

1 Like

Ursula LeGuin had something to say about that…

1 Like

They wouldn’t even have to jettison all of their race hatred. Pretty much every ethnic group has other ethnic groups it despises. They could just all agree on the jews or tamils or, umm, those involuntary-immigrant folks everyone seems to demonize.

I think that’s actually been going on. Hate on enough of the other groups that republicans of northern european descent hate, and you get promoted to honorary.

1 Like

Long past time to flush all this shit out of the military and put it in burn pits.

Oops I meant TBI
Traumatic brain injury

I was thinking of that very story when I wrote my post…

Yes, well I always remain hopeful.

So true… a whole lotta MAGA hats, but not so many orange tans…

Comments are now Members-Only
Join the discussion Free options available