How The Newly Revealed ‘Eastman Memo’ Fits Into Trump’s Election Theft Conspiracy | Talking Points Memo

That’s exactly what happened. Someone posted a Tweet from Tribe pointing it out.

2 Likes
3 Likes

Last I heard he was head of DoJ and America’s AG. But “where” he is at the moment I dunno.

1 Like

Remarkable timeline, Matt. Thanks. Ties it all up in a neat bow.

1 Like

Tribe explained this in detail. See other posters. (spoiler: Tribe is not “in big trouble”)

1 Like

Absolutely.

In the comments to that essay, there’s a pretty plausible explanation as well of what the conspirators hoped to gain by preventing congress from doing its business on the 6th: although there weren’t any alternate slates then, they intended that republican legislatures would appoint new electors by the time Congress was able to recover from the violence and return to session.

Which would strongly imply additional conspirators at the state level, for multiple states.

5 Likes

Sorry if this has already been mentioned…I am at work.

But in this scenario, it is explicitly laid out that Mike Lee and Lindsay Graham were privy to the whole plan? Now, they poo-pooed it but they actually saw this occurring and did nothing? And Lindsay Graham is one of the people pushing Chump the hardest to run again, I hear.

I don’t believe a sitting US Senator is supposed to be involved in advising on coup strategies or civil war planning…nor keeping mum about it.

ETA: and remember, Linseed stepped up to the mic right after the Capitol was sacked and said “I’m done” if I remember correctly. But backtracked as usual.

1 Like

This is material that would have been useful during Trump’s second (count 'em) impeachment.

Can any legal scholars weigh in on how such material can be used at this stage? Are avenues for congress to follow at this stage, now that Trump is out of office? What do people like Lawrence Tribe say?

3 Likes

It really really bugs me that lots of people knew about this. The stuff coming out of Woodward’s book would have been VERY useful reporting if it came out when he knew it…and not when he could profit off it most handsomely in his book schemes. He is out on the circuit now acting like this is heinous, crisis stuff and how knife-edge cosmically dangerous this all is/was…but didn’t feel he could/should put it out there while the iron was hot. Doing it now, after the whole Jan6 debacle has turned into low-level whack-a-mole misdemeanor prosecutions of the dirtbags who showed up with bearspray, is too late.

4 Likes

Tribe:

That’s damning…

2 Likes

His passivity appalls me. I know there is a political calculus, but shutting one’s eyes to attempts to destroy our electoral system like this can’t be overlooked.

3 Likes

One thing I have never gotten used to is the glacial slowness (most of the time and esp. in big cases) of our judicial system. It;s built in for a reason but to me that doesn’t really make it all that better.

1 Like

The story says he resigned from his teaching position after J6; it was my understanding he was TOLD to resign or be fired.

And YES he is on the list for legal suspension/disbarment.

1 Like

I think there was also a “a senator could stall the vote until a state legislature appointed a second set of electors” option in there too. Which makes Rudy’s misdials to senator Lee during the insurrection all the more interesting. Not a spur of the moment free-lance but a furtherance of an existing conspiracy?

4 Likes

:100: :100: :100:

1 Like

Appoint someone like Daniel Goldman to do it.

2 Likes

“This one time, at the bowling alley…”

3 Likes

And let’s not forget to give him credit for being 100% on the nose about psycho religious nuts that God “appears” to and said here’s a list of “demons” you need to kill for me with his directorial debut film-Frailty. As the great Roger Ebert said in his four star review-“Heaven protect us from people who believe they can impose their will on us in this world because of what they think they know about the next.”

3 Likes

They had the prescience to announce his birth in the HI paper just in case his citizen ship was challenged…4 decades later…

2 Likes
Comments are now Members-Only
Join the discussion Free options available