How Oil Companies Could End Up Footing Bill For Climate Disasters

Yes, gas heat trapping may have been rather esoteric knowledge post Tyndall but by the turn of last century it was virtually high school science stuff as were predictions of the consequence as this page from 1912 Popular Mechanics magazine below indicates (the original did not have the date on each page so I added that from the magazine front).

PM1912

13 Likes

Trying to put a price tag on a 6th mass extinction is nothing more than masturbatory sophistry.

3 Likes

My solar array is at 34.7 kWh so far today, and I’m optimistic that April will be the first month of 2024 where production > consumption. Replacing our used gas vehicle with electric is next (the inverter is electric-ready), and then we are going to tackle storage and try to get off of anything non-renewable. I’ve been reading for a couple of years about storage – my dream is to follow this with a public solar-powered charging station for EV’s – the problem is of course that in bad weather you’d have to be hooked up to the grid and this means working with a local electrical provider.

13 Likes

It won’t happen soon, but hydrogen powered engines might be the interim solution for airliners until there is some vastly better battery technology. Airbus and Boeing are working on it, but there are some big obstacles with weight required for containment, cryo cooling, etc. It’s not a direct replacement for jet fuel.

4 Likes
  1. The big greenhouse gas emitters (companies and states, especially big oil, China and the US) are systematically lying about their emissions, meaning they systematically underreport them:

https://e360.yale.edu/features/undercounted-emissions-un-climate-change .

“They are supposed to be the climate-savers’ gold standard — the key data on which the world relies in its efforts to lower greenhouse gas emissions and hold global warming in check. But the national inventories of emissions supplied to the United Nations climate convention (UNFCCC) by most countries are anything but reliable, according to a growing body of research.

The data supplied to the UNFCCC, and published on its website, are typically out of date, inconsistent, and incomplete. For most countries, “I would not put much value, if any, on the submissions,” says Glen Peters of the Centre for International Climate Research in Norway, a longtime analyst of emissions trends.

The data from large emitters is as much open to questions as that from smaller and less industrialised nations. In China, the uncertainties around its carbon dioxide emissions from burning coal are larger than the total emissions of many major industrial countries. And companies preparing data for its carbon-trading system have been accused of widespread data fraud.

In the United States, an analysis published this month of the air over the country’s oil and natural gas fields found that they emit three times more methane — a gas responsible for a third of current warming — than the government has reported.”

6 Likes

Meet the woman who first identified the greenhouse effect… :thinking: :+1:

I’ll also post a few other links I find interesting on this topic.

Even Koch Funded Study Finds Global Warming to be Human Made

http://thinkprogress.org/climate/2013/01/20/1474571/koch-funded-study-finds-25f-warming-of-land-since-1750-is-manmade-solar-forcing-does-not-appear-to-contribute

LBJ was warned of global warming

http://thinkprogress.org/climate/2013/02/13/1588181/obamas-we-cant-wait-moment-on-climate-disaster

In 1966, Coal Knew They Were Killing the Biosphere, Continues Anyway

1965 American Petroleum Institute (API) President’s Speech Warns of Global Warming

Study: Exxon Mobil accurately predicted warming since 1970s

ETA: While I’ll admit I’m not the biggest fan of Dr. Edward Teller, I have to admit his truth in this instance.

On its 100th birthday in 1959, Edward Teller warned the oil industry about global warming | Climate crisis | The Guardian

9 Likes

Pretty sure it was the Swedish chemist, Gustav Arrhenius, who was the first to rigorously quantify the contribution of CO2 to the greenhouse effect, though.

7 Likes

A solution would be wind turbines as an alternate source/backup system during bad weather.

1 Like

It’s not just cars. It’s the entire infrastructure - how will humans get to and from work? How is food to be transported to population areas? Right now we’re supporting 8 billion people and counting - how is a planned population diminishment to be handled fairly?

5 Likes

I assure you we were well aware in the early sixties of what oil companies were doing to the environment. By the time the loathsome Richard Nixon initiated the EPA it wasn’t his visionary liberalism that made it happen. Public awareness, his conservationist fellow Republicans of that era and Democrats, of course, made it a political necessity.

7 Likes

Prof. Stefan Rahmstorf :earth_asia: 🦣
@rahmstorf
Jetzt haben auch die NASA-Daten fßr die letzten 12 Monate die 1,5 °C ßberschritten.
Wenn der schwarze Langzeittrend Ăźber die 1,5 Grad geht ist das Paris-Ziel gerissen. Alle Staaten hatten sich 2015 zu Anstrengungen verpflichtet, es einzuhalten. Wo sind sie?

Translated from German by

Now NASA data for the last 12 months have also exceeded 1.5 °C.
If the long-term trend goes above 1.5 degrees, the Paris target will be missed. All countries committed to making efforts to meet it in 2015. Where are they?

3 Likes

Got a few hundred mil lying around? We’re going to have to be making those kinds of decisions all around the country and around the globe in the next 50 years, and unless the carbon emitters pony up, it’s not at all clear where the money will come from. (I’m in the weird position of being an above-the-flood resident – perfectly dry, but when all the main roads and power and water and sewer lines are below water that matters only a little.)

(I think we’re also going to need big changes in building codes for floodable areas.)

1 Like

I wish I did. The old buildings in the center of Montpelier are beautiful and I’ve always liked to wander the streets there, but perpetually rebuilding the same places year in and year out makes no sense. Last year, they flooded twice; maybe they’ll have dry feet for a few years now, maybe not. I don’t have the answer to funding something that is both obvious and almost completely impossible.

2 Likes

So, you’re living in Vermont? Are you familiar with this old company?

I have one of their pump organs in my cabin in Colorado that dates back to the early 1900s.

3 Likes

That is really cool. Is it still playable?

I have to admit that I’ve never heard of them - I’m pretty clueless about musical instruments (I am fascinated about the info here at TPM from all the musicians even though a lot of it goes over my head.) I live in the northwest corner of Vermont so rarely find myself in Brattleboro.

4 Likes

It’s very playable and everything still works. It’s at 9000 ft elevation and it stays pretty dry up there so things tend to last longer. What gets me is how far it had to travel to get where it is. Getting it inside the cabin was no easy feat either because the house is surrounded by huge boulders with narrow passage ways in between.

4 Likes

I live too far away but I’d love to visit that museum. They made beautiful instruments that are really hard to find these days.

2 Likes

MEANWHILE…

3 Likes

Only barely by name. I had a teacher in high school who rescued one of these from a church that was being demolished and then built a house around it.

Just a little tracker organ, though.

4 Likes

Very cool.

1 Like
Comments are now Members-Only
Join the discussion Free options available