‘How Are You All Still Doing This?’: Pundits Roasted For Painting Trump As A Newly Tamed Beast

President Donald Trump managed to avoid repeatedly heckling and shouting over Democratic candidate Joe Biden during Thursday night’s debate (you know, the one that had a new rule on muting mics)–prompting “new tone”-hungry pundits to predictably applaud him for sort of exercising a basic restraint that one would expect from any grown adult.

This is a companion discussion topic for the original entry at https://talkingpointsmemo.com/?p=1340172
2 Likes

Do they ever learn?

10 Likes

Why is anyone surprised at this response? This is how they roll. If people think it’s over than they won’t click on any of the blogs to keep the money flowing in. Remember what Les Moores said about the tRump clown show in 2016:

“It may not be good for America, but it’s damn good for CBS,” Moonves said at the Morgan Stanley Technology, Media & Telecom Conference in San Francisco, according to The Hollywood Reporter — perfectly distilling what media critics have long suspected was motivating the round-the-clock coverage of Trump’s presidential bid.

“Most of the ads are not about issues. They’re sort of like the debates,” Moonves said, noting, “[t]here’s a lot of money in the marketplace.”

It’s a hook and it’s all about money. PLUS: Most people are hip to this tactic, especially Chuck Todd.

32 Likes

The best thing I saw posted last night was that ‘Trump is the same crazy Uncle, spouting the same racist, bigoted garbage but he’s using his indoor voice!’

63 Likes

Pundits: ‘I like my racism and cruelty without yelling, thank you very much.’

53 Likes

The media may think they are giving trump a mulligan but they don’t realize how low they have set the bar for him. They want to push the idea that he did a great job because he demonstrated more restraint than the first debate completely missing all the nonsense an gobbly gook talk he was spewing.

30 Likes

“It’s the PIVOT!”

36 Likes

No van jones to say trump is now presidential

9 Likes

Still looking for the bothsiderism, the pivot, the it is what it is…

7 Likes

CNN- Daniel Dale summed it up right after the debate
Trump interrupted less … but
Lied even more.
… and Dale was almost speechless when addressing the sheer volume of lies … he sort of laughed at the challenge that they had in being able to keep up with the process of identifying and counting them .

53 Likes

Prime example: If Chuck Todd said that “Trump did probably stop the bleeding tonight and that’s important,” well, it’s a self-fulfilling prophecy.

25 Likes

Did anybody hear anything that changed the direction of the race? If not, Biden won.

26 Likes

So none of our pundits noticed the weird, weedling con man way of speaking that Trump was using? The “Let’s make a deal; you’re a beaudiful person, beaudiful! It’s gonna be big! Powerful!” The tone he’s always used to sucker people into giving him money, agreeing to provide things, services?

We saw the “Post-Deal” Trump at the previous debate, the one that screams like a hateful madman, motormouths over your attempts at defense, threatens massive legal retribution, and just keeps yelling until you give up.

Yet the pundits STILL haven’t read the books on Trump and how he does business?

37 Likes

Only in media bizzaroland do you get points for merely peeing on the carpet instead of shitting on it.

And, figures that Page would compliment him on this. Was it her carpet?

41 Likes

CNN"s Daniel Dale nailed it: "“President Trump was better behaved tonight, but he lied more. … With this President, we just see a constant barrage incessantly of false or misleading stuff.”

ETA I now see @jinnj beat me to it.

30 Likes

DC press corps: More lies with better tone means Trump won.

19 Likes

Most are desperate for the attention and money and will say whatever they think will keep it coming and perhaps get them a better gig someday. They are media whores.

7 Likes

But he was so polite in how he lied!

13 Likes

There were no minds changed last night …
Nobody who has come to see Trump as a self-serving liar … is waking up this morning and saying “wow was I wrong … that Donald Trump is as swell guy”

20 Likes

Here’s the thing: he may have managed not to actually do a “Rudy tuck-in” last night, but he has to be amped for the rallies, and they can’t afford anything but rallies. He’ll be back tonight as insane as ever.

6 Likes
Comments are now Members-Only
Join the discussion Free options available