House Will Vote On Making Juneteenth A Federal Holiday After Unanimous Senate Passage | Talking Points Memo

I think he was referring to pommes frites.

7 Likes

They’re a food group, of course it has a day.

7 Likes

Well given that potatoes have a day, I am nominating sweet potato fries for their own day. They so deserve it! So delicious.

5 Likes

I like 'em all, there’s a brand called Thrasher’s you get at the the Delaware and Maryland beaches that are quite good and lots of people don’t consider it a beach trip if you don’t stop at a Thrasher’s. The Brits can do them well. But yeah, a nice steak frites makes a pretty tasty meal.

3 Likes

There you go again, poutine on airs…

9 Likes

Most Native Americans mark that day as a National Day of Mourning, and with good reason. Columbus and crew arrived with a slate of Old World diseases to which the natives had no immunity nor resistance and thus that set of a series of pandemics that wiped out approximately 60 - 80 million souls. Also, good ol’ Wrong Way Chris began the ignoble American tradition of enslaving non-white people.

Knowing that, I can’t think of a single reason to celebrate Columbus and the epidemic calamity his greed unleashed upon a hemisphere that was getting along quite nicely thank you for thousands of years.

3 Likes

O god. There goes this thread.

8 Likes

Nice one, spuddy.

6 Likes

Hey, I thought it was a bit cheesy, but seeing everyone’s reaction was just gravy…

7 Likes

Italian immigrants (primarily from southern Italy and Sicily) were considered not much better than ex-slaves. There are multiple cases of Italians being lynched in the late 1800s, including a mass lynching in New Orleans in 1891. Italian-Americans pushed the Columbus myth to differentiate themselves from Black Americans. The insidious power of white-supremacy pushes every ethnic group to step on each other, trying to get into the “WHITE” category.

2 Likes

You’re just trying to get under everyone’s skin and drive a wedge between us.

6 Likes

fire-alarm-pull-station

9 Likes

Hey, I’ll admit it was half-baked, but I tried…

5 Likes

Someone needs to knock that chip off your shoulder.

5 Likes

Don’t crinkle your nose at me.

4 Likes

:sunglasses:

1 Like

Also Saint Brendan’s Day.

1 Like

Even in unanimity, the aircraft carrier of government takes a long time to execute a turn. I would guess that this will not go into effect until '22.

1 Like

It sure as heck wasn’t Samsonite.

1 Like

Not so much a thread as a shoestring.

7 Likes
Comments are now Members-Only
Join the discussion Free options available