House Will Vote On Making Juneteenth A Federal Holiday After Unanimous Senate Passage | Talking Points Memo

Schumer asked for unanimous consent and after Ron Johnson dropped his opposition to the bill, it passed by unanimous consent.

12 Likes

Sen. Ron Johnson (R-WI) initially blocked the bill last year, arguing that making Juneteenth a federal holiday would cost taxpayers hundreds of millions of dollars.

So says a member of the club that will be in session 158 days this year.

11 Likes

Good trouble

5 Likes

Yeah, but they’re fighting like hell against the 1619 project. I can only assume the holiday vote is meant to give themselves cover as they continue to distort 1619.

9 Likes

Their current boogeyman is “critical race theory,” which they basically define as anything that might prompt a white Republican snowflake to consider the United States’ centuries-long history of racial violence and inequality, or to think about their own responsibility for those things today. The 1619 project is only one part of that.

12 Likes

We should change Columbus Day to First Nation’s Day.
Columbus never said he “discovered” America when there were already 100 million people here.
The fool thought he discovered a shortcut to India.
Guy who flunks geography gets a holiday? Why?

9 Likes

You are correct. Taxes were collected in Judea on or around the vernal equinox during Joseph and Mary’s time. That’s why they were staying in a barn in Bethlehem.
Jesus was either a Pisces or an Aires. Not a Capricorn.

4 Likes

Yes, but 1619 is more focused on slavery and CRT is more broadly about structural racism, so 1619 feels more like the precise opposite of Juneteenth recognition than CRT does. Hair splitting, I know.

4 Likes

Italian-American immigrants pushing the mythology.

8 Likes

I know right? Mom’s an Erikson so I get to pitch shit to my Italian friends about Leif.

5 Likes

I’m all for Leif Erikson Day as well. Any long weekend is a good weekend in life.

6 Likes

Gotta draw the line at Leif Garrett Day, though.

6 Likes

My Ukrainian-American father pushed real hard for potato day.

6 Likes

And cabbage day.

3 Likes

Without them, we’d lack so much vodka.

4 Likes

But of course Christmas is a real holiday. Juneteenth is just a long-observed celebration of a historic and factual milestone in the freedom of an enslaved people in this country that is officially recognized in almost all the states of the nation.

5 Likes

Not American Tourister Day?

4 Likes

Virginia will reject calling the date “Juneteenth”, declaring the holiday George Pickett Day instead.

Oh, I’m sure potatoes have a day or week or month of their own. I’d be shocked if they didn’t. French fries come from potatoes.

8 Likes

Did you just say Freedom Fries?

5 Likes
Comments are now Members-Only
Join the discussion Free options available