House Judiciary Subpoenas Lewandowski, Ex-WH Aide Dearborn | Talking Points Memo

The House Judiciary Committee issued subpoenas Thursday to former Trump campaign chairman Corey Lewandowski and ex-White House aide Rick Dearborn.

This is a companion discussion topic for the original entry at https://talkingpointsmemo.com/?p=1242982
1 Like

:laughing:

8 Likes

This guy looks like the poster child for fetal alcohol syndrome.

3 Likes

Assume the position, boyz!

1 Like

That should help his senatorial chances in NH, especially if he refuses to appear. :grinning:

13 Likes

Marcy Wheeler today on Bill Barr’s “Comply first, complain later” credo for interactions with die Polizei:

Bill Barr doesn’t believe any average American should ask questions before complying with those empowered to force them to abide by the law.

But his view is entirely different when it comes to his boss complying with the only body — given the OLC memos Barr has reinforced — with the authority to police Executive branch abuses. Indeed, he has (unsurprisingly) refused to enforce contempt citations, and has instead fostered the kind of disrespect for the law he claims to believe in.

23 Likes

9 Likes

The White House is considering invoking executive privilege to block Lewandowski’s testimony even though Lewandowski never worked for the Trump administration, CNN reported Thursday.

Might as well say he’s unavailable because he turned into a newt.

15 Likes

gosh. four months after the Mueller report details Lewandowski’s involvement in Trump’s efforts to essentially end the investigation into Russian military intelligence interference in our elections, Nadler finally manages to subpoena Lewandowski and Dearborn.

And schedules them for a public hearing that will either be cancelled because Lewandowski and Dearborn are no-shows, or will be a complete circus because of the “5 minute rule”.

This is a joke. This is not how you run an impeachment. You question the witnesses in private, then decide how and when they will testify in public.

2 Likes

Better and better.

1 Like

given the ideas that underlie the concept of executive privilege, the assertion that a President can only make privilege claims for federal employees is debateable, at the very least. AFAIK, there are no Supreme Court precedents that establish that non-employee advisors are ineligible for executive privilege claims.

In other words, I fully expect that Trump will object to Lewandowski’s testimony, based on some bizarro world version of executive privilege (like “immunity”) and that there will be no hearings. And it will take until November for Nadler to get around to even filing a civil suit to force compliance.

And given the slow-walk that Nadler is doing on Grand Jury materials, and his “end of the year” deadline, its pretty clear that we’re looking at kayfabe. Nadler ‘negotiated’ a schedule that prevents any oral arguments prior to Sept 30, and unless the court decides to issue a decision without a hearing, there won’t be a decision until mid October – and that is only the START of the process, because of appeals – the odds are overwhelming that the committee won’t even get the grand jury materials it needs before the end of the year…

2 Likes

Can’t resist

6 Likes

Wait–the Mueller report is still a thing? I thought Nadler and Pelosi had successfully managed to bury it because it offended Republicans?

2 Likes

Trump’s personal lawyers in the DOJ file for summary blocking of the subpoenas on the basis of “Nyuh, UH!” in 3…2…1…

2 Likes

Excellent. Now GRILL them until they cry.

5 Likes

:100:

2 Likes

I was going to say “'E got better” … but no, no he hasn’t.

2 Likes

How about a trial run on that whole impeachment process and just begin by going after Barr for starters? That’ll make my day.

14 Likes

‘Hear, hear!!’

1 Like

MANCHSTER, N.H. (AP) — President Donald Trump on Thursday threw his support behind his former campaign manager, Corey Lewandowski, who is considering a run for Senate in his home state of New Hampshire.

Trump praised Lewandowski as “a very outstanding guy” in an interview on the “New Hampshire Today” radio show before an evening rally in the state. Trump said he thought Lewandowski would be hard to beat if he decides to challenge Democratic Sen. Jeanne Shaheen.

“Well, first of all, I have to tell you that I think he would be fantastic. He’s got great energy. He’s terrific on television … He’s a really good guy,” Trump said in the interview. While he said he didn’t think Lewandowski had made up his mind yet, Trump said that, “If he ran, he would be a great senator” and “hard to beat.”

2 Likes
Comments are now Members-Only
Join the discussion Free options available