House Impeachment Manager Brings Incitement Case Against Trump To Court | Talking Points Memo

Rep. Eric Swalwell (D-CA), a House impeachment manager during the proceedings against Donald Trump last month, has taken the case that the former President committed incitement to court.

This is a companion discussion topic for the original entry at https://talkingpointsmemo.com/?p=1363476
1 Like

Part of me wants to shame Swalwell for trying to plug himself so far ahead of 2024, but I really hope this suit has legs.

Civil discovery is going to be a motherfucker.

42 Likes

Well, these things do take time.

13 Likes

Good for him. Seriously can’t be enough lawsuits directed at tRump and his clan of deplorables.
If nothing else, he won’t get any real lawyers to represent him because real lawyers don’t like to get stiffed.

36 Likes

I’m sure that, if this were a criminal case, it would lead to charges of obstruction of justice.
I don’t know what the options or consequences are in a civil case.

14 Likes

This suit has legs, arms, lapels, pinstripes, pockets, and a hanky with Donny’s monogram.

41 Likes

Tres fabu.

6 Likes

I seem to recall that civil suits don’t have the same strict rules as criminal courts.

8 Likes

And an 8-foot red tie to match.

10 Likes

Me neither, but there is precedent for civil case discovery being of very fruitful use in eventual criminal cases.

What is Swalwell asking for in terms of redress?

11 Likes

I want so many court proceedings in DC and NY to take place that Trump will never want to waddle onto his jet and leave Florida again.

23 Likes

In the civil suit against O.J. after he was acquitted of murder criminally that was a huge factor, particularly in how the standard was a preponderance of the evidence, not a case proved beyond a reasonable doubt. Of course what you had going on in the second Trump impeachment was unreasonable doubt, but still to some extent it’s relevant.

29 Likes

I guess I see what you mean, and I’m not sure his civil suit will go anywhere, but I do not fault him for trying.

More like this would be nice.

22 Likes

A good reaction to a man who seemed to invite being sued. I hope it overwhelms.

15 Likes

Well, now we know why Rudy made a fool of himself yesterday.

10 Likes

I suspect we will have a very small field, assuming Biden doesn’t seek re-election, in 2024. And I doubt Swalwell will be one of them…but anything is possible.

10 Likes

OK, but how about all the other days?

22 Likes

I hope someone (maybe insurance industry) would sue about the changes to the HHS web site in reference to ACA. Isn’t the government required to provide accurate information to the public?

5 Likes

Easier to keep track of the days Rudy DOESN’T make a fool of himself.

9 Likes

Why?

1 Like