House GOPers Call Out Colleagues Over Electoral Objections After Capitol Riots | Talking Points Memo

A little anecdote about the Meijer family.

I grew up in south central Michigan and the big Meijer stores were all over (think: a forerunner of Walmart but with more style and class). Many years ago, long before it was fashionable, Meijier’s had a store policy of hiring (mentally) handicapped folks for jobs like bagging — paid them a decent salary, gave them a purpose in life. I had a step-cousin who was a number of years older than I was but intellectually never really made it much beyond about 7-8 years old. But as a result of the Meijer’s program, she was “somebody” and was very proud of the job — she got out of the residential home where she was living, was part of “normal” society and had her own spending money. It was tremendous. It was about the time that “mainstreaming” in schools was beginning to be a thing.

Sadly, now due to things like cashiers packing bags, and self-scanning, there’s no real place for this any more, but I always respected Meijer’s for doing this bit of good for the community.

Hard to believe you can have this and the DeVos family springing from the same general neighborhood.

50 Likes

I know them well.

They swiped my reserved table at Le Diplomate last night. I was not amused.

10 Likes

And … would Kamala Harris be affected?

I go pretty deep with the Maitre D at the Dip so I don’t ever have that prob.

4 Likes

But hopefully no kerfuffle ensued?

5 Likes

I think we are all in trouble if it comes to that.

2 Likes

She won her manglemandered district by 2%. Expect susan collins south behavior.

12 Likes

I was the very picture of understanding.

4 Likes

Buh bye Greene. For a little while anyway.

Twitter said Sunday that it had temporarily suspended the personal account of Rep. Marjorie Taylor Greene’s (R-Ga.) following “multiple” violations of the platform’s content policy.

29 Likes

138 House Republicans votes against certifying Pennsylvania’s electoral votes. I DK if there were any Republicans who voted to certify PA nut not AZ.

How many of these people made these claims off the floor of the House? And how many of that subset are lawyers?

1 Like

What, you agree with ALL your neighbors?

2 Likes

Live updates from Michigan (Freep) No violence. No arrests.

13 Likes

election fraud

Republican feds, stay out!!!

The States have this.

No “big government”.

My favorite restaurant in DC. That’s rude.

2 Likes

36 Likes

First and last warning, I hope.

4 Likes

38 Likes

I would modify that statement to read “Republicans should resign if they really are that fearful and can’t find the courage to overcome their fear.” Fear is a normal reaction to danger. It’s how we handle the fear that is important.

14 Likes

They do that at a different family-owned chain that has a store here. (Don’t get me started…)

Or did. I think Covid probably put that on hold for the time being.

1 Like

All true.

But hopefully the time will come when we see Trump and his family in a jail cell.

3 Likes
Comments are now Members-Only
Join the discussion Free options available