Hospitals In Two States Denied An Abortion To A Miscarrying Patient. Investigators Say They Broke Federal Law.

Not happening. I know two ways to get immediate attention in a hospital ER. The first is to carry a child in the midst of an asthma attack into the ER. The other is be a middle-aged white male with chest pain and ashy pallor. (It wasn’t a MI: it was an ulcer.)

3 Likes

Quite right. Why didn’t I think of that? But the “monotheism” of common understanding is the mysterious hybrid of three gods in one, the “Trinity.” Was that put in place as a sop to the followers of multiple gods, so they would be less inclined to reject the new religion? Unitarianism, when it appeared in the 1500s or so, was treated as an anomaly or a heresy. Will nontheism become a movement in the 21st century?

1 Like

This was exactly the situation of a cousin of mine in the early 60s. She left 5 children behind with an alcoholic father. It’s one of the reasons this Catholic school girl became pro birth control and pro abortion to save women.

8 Likes

We are one corrupt, rightist judge away from EMTALA being declared unconstitutional.

Then we can all enjoy the rightist vision of an individual mandate: pay up your insurance premium or risk being left to bleed out, stroke out, choke out or just quietly go to sleep forever, curbside. Outside the emergency room door.

Welcome to rightist utopia, where the EMT requires prior authorization to squirt the Narcan or begin chest compressions.

3 Likes

That’s a complicated bit of Church history. Theologians had an angle to trisect: the parent religion (Judaism) was militantly monotheistic, so there can only be one god. But rather than selling Joshua ben Joseph of Nazareth as a rabbi and prophet, the church fathers chose to designate him as God made man.

Constructing an angle with 1/3 the angular measure of an arbitrary angle with compass and straightedge is impossible: it can’t be done. Similarly, you can’t have a grey-bearded hurler of lightning bolts and a carpenter cum rabbi both be god.

But you can trisect an angle if you use redefine the problem, and similarly, you can have both your hairy thunderer and your rabbi both be god if you redefine god. In the case of trisecting an angle, you allow the straightedge to be marked. In the case of the church fathers, they divided up the aspects of god into the trinity.

To keep the monotheism thing going, they also insisted that the god that fulfills the three aspects are all the same god, so even though there are three, there is really only one. Which one you see depends on how you are looking at god.

If that sounds like sophistry, it’s because it is awfully close to sophistry. At a bare minimum, it is a serious case of special pleading.

It certainly appears to be what is happening in the United States in the 21st century. The number of religious survey respondents who are unchurched is increasing rapidly. I think this is another component driving the fundagelicals to try to establish their theocracy while they think they can.

2 Likes

I was taking my husband to the ER because the doc wanted him to have a spinal tap to try to figure out what was going on with him. I didn’t tell him about the spinal tap because I knew what would happen if I did. As we were almost there he said that he’d rather be sick at home. That’s when I hit him with the words spinal tap which did exactly what I knew they would: his eyes rolled up and he passed out. I pulled up to the curb and ran in to tell them he was unconscious in the car. Hey - THAT get a quick reaction! BTW - they did the spinal tap and he did get better and NO, they never figured out what that was all about… shrug

5 Likes

This isn’t at all sad. The men should just find new breeders and grab those baby bonuses.

it’s not acceptable if it’s a fetus - but a lowly heifer - welp, there’s plenty more to choose from

In the universe of for profit health care and insurance companies.
Ask anyone who has had to beg for a prescribed medication while the insurance company forces you to try the off-bran older knock-off first.

5 Likes

Fall from higher than 6 feet. That got my husband immediate attention.

3 Likes

I took my sister with a cut that needed stitches. Open wounds will generally get their attention.

2 Likes

The ABCs get their attention right away.

The ABCs are
Airway
Breathing
Circulation

1 Like

Maybe Airway, Bleeding, Circulation.

Another option is to go in an ambulance. They have to get the patient off the ambulance’s gurney and onto one of theirs. This direct admit has proven to be expensive and the patient may end up in the hallway waiting just the same.

Pretty soon we will be able to do a face to face on-line consultation with a doctor who can decide what urgent care medication or treatments are needed. Yup.

3 Likes

I’ve seen it taught both ways…and I’ve seen it as ABBC to cover both bases. I first learned it as B for Breathing in senior first aid and that was what stuck.

1 Like

That is coming from you, not them. Where is a spokesperson? Like I said, they have an oath too, you know, first,do no harm. They. Don’t. Care. Not about doing right by their patients.

1 Like

I did see this today if it hasn’t already been posted here.

2 Likes

Yes, avoid getting pregnant - if a pregnancy is not desired. Makes a great deal of common sense… however…

There are instances where a desired pregnancy takes an adverse turn, where a viable progression to a healthy delivery is not possible - and sometimes where continuation will result in the death of the mother & the fetus.

The ultimate insanity is the singleminded obsession of the right wing evangelical fundamentalist zealots to apply by force a rigid subscription to their very specific stupid “it is God’s will” perspective … oh … and it is in accordance with their specific interpretation of their specific God… and in their view, if it is their God’s will that this mother shall perish - well that is God’s will and it should not be obstructed… even if said mother is not of their religion…
These bastards are doggedly determined to make the entire nation bend to the essence of their religious dictates & dogma … they have resolutely said “F-you” to tolerating the views & philosophy of others … their intransigence has become their purpose in life.

3 Likes

Hmmm. I think my UCSB diploma does too.

1 Like

Good point!

As I read someone quoted recently, “Politicians make shitty doctors.”

It is unconscionable that a woman with a predictably unviable pregnancy should have to wait until she is at death’s door before doctors would dare to give her medical care. And I dare Clarence Thomas or Sam Alito or any of the rest of the 6 conservatives on the Court who were so eager to overturn (or, in Roberts’s case, severely limit) Roe to justify that when a wrongful death suit for that situation inevitably makes its way to their hallowed halls.

“Right to life” my ass. What these people are about is the right to RULE.

3 Likes
Comments are now Members-Only
Join the discussion Free options available